Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you prewash Warm and Natural Batting?

no, I do not pre wash batting,fabric yes .....

The very first crib quilt I made, I soaked the W&N batting, and hung it outdoors to dry. I noticed there was no shrinkage. Since then, I use the batting right out of the package.

Blog Entries
    I've heard you can spray with water and then toss in dryer for the same effect.

Haven't tried it yet.

I don't predawn my batting- I will let it rest after taking it out of the package. Before I sandwich the quilt, I will remove any cat hair, threads or anything that it has collected with a sticky roller, then hover my steam iron over it to remove the wrinkles. Recently borrowed a hand steamer and will now use that. I like the wrinkled look of a quilt after washing.

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    I just pre-washed W&N for a more modern type quilt, that I didn't want to be crinkly. I have a top load machine so I did it the way the package instructed, except I did spin it and it was fine. Since you have a front load machine, I would just do a short cycle on gentle and it should be fine, front load machines are gentler even on the regular cycle. I dried mine on low heat and put a clean dry towel in with it, it came out great.
    I agree... you dont need detergent. just hot water. remember low heat in the dryer, because the scrim is poly and will melt if too hot. ask me how I know. LOL. I use Warm compy. most of the time and I am a longarm quilter.

I don't prewash, but I do soak and spin the batting, then into the dryer until just damp, lay out flat until dry. I have also taken it into the shower with me, roll up in a towel to get the excess water out and a quick spin in the washer. Again, pop into the dryer. I have gotten busy and let it fully dry in the dryer with no problems. I tried the spritzing with water and then dry but it didn't shrink and when I washed the whole quilt it did, so that trick didn't work for me. Really depends on what finished look you want.
    bev. :)

I tried prewashing for my first quilt...was a very expensive lesson...never did again...but always wash and iron my fabrics... but I make only quilts...

No, I don't prewash batting.

It depends on how you want your finished quilt to look. If you like the antique crinkly look, don't prewash the batting. If you want the finished quilt to be smoother, then prewash the batting to get the initial shrinkage done ahead of time.

nab
    I'm not a pre-washer either. Wastes too much time and I like the crinkle look. Makes them look comfy.

:thumbdown: Nope never wash my batting either and I have never had any problems.

:thumbdown: Nope never wash my batting either and I have never had any problems.

I don't wash any of it, it makes it easier for me to work with it - that is just my preference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    I pre-wash both. I don't like the wrinkled look. If I want a quilt to look antique after it's washed I don't wash it. But I prefer for them to look newer longer, so I pre-wash everything.
    Me too. I don't like the crinkled look. And I soak and dry in medium to hot (water and air).

I prewashed W&N cotton batting once, what a mistake! When I took it out of the dryer it was so linty I had a hard time working with it because it kept my eyes itchy and made a mess in my sewing room. I love the stuff, I just don't prewash any more.
    ~Shirley

I prewash Warm and Natural batting but I have a top loading washer so I can soak it. If it's going to shrink I wnat it to shrink before I hand quilt it.

I always soak W & N, spin the water off and machine dry because I don't want so much shrinkage when the quilt is washed. Can you trick your machine by letting it fill on one of the cycles with the batting inside, turn it off and maybe squeeze the water around a bit with your hands, then turn it back on to a spin cycle? Something like that? I would be very concerned about letting it agitate at all as it would likely tear. Good luck!

I am in the middle of quilting a very large quilt for my son for Fathers Day. I did not wash anything before hand, but for the first time I am going to wash it after it is done. I do like the crinkle look and I want to make sure it will survive my grandkids and their mother.....

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    I put my batt in the washer, let it fill with cold water....soak 10 min...spin.... take it out & put it on air fluff in dryer until almost dry, then try to lay it flat until 100% dry.

It will still shrink some, but the end result isn't an "antique" looking quilt, just a well loved one.
    This is also what I do and it has been working fine for years and years.

I have only prewashed batting for wallhangings. Place in washer, fill with cold water, drain, spin, put in dryer for air dry and then delicate heat for final dry and shrinkage. Really, most of the shrinkage is in the dryer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I prewash it all...and then hang to dry...the batting is amazing when it is washed and line dried...

chemicals are in everything...I prefer to keep them out of my house/studio when at all possible...

Never
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Blog Entries
    Nope.

no need

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I don't prewash either fabric or batting. All gets washed after the quilt is done then it shrinks together if at all.
    Ditto, and I love the antique look of a new freshly washed quilt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast