Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone >

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 PM

i couldn't stand it...i bought a longarm and i love spending time on it... for me it was worth it...there are many good used machines out there and I have loved having one of them....she is Miss Kitty....I bought her USED and she lived in Dodge City..... you have to be old to get the joke, but it's there....
Old 01-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Right now I do all my quilts on my domestic. But I haven't done larger than a twin.

My LQS offers a class to "license" you on their long arm. It is a $75 class, and then the rental is like $40/3 hours.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:19 PM

I do mine on my BabyLock. I don't do anything fancy and I don't free-motion, although it is my goal this year to practice that. I rented time on a long-arm at my LQS once. It didn't go that well, but I got through it and my son's fiancee loves it. The owner of the LQS couldn't believe it took me so long to do it! I haven't been back. But I am content with my stitch in the ditch and whatever else is easy ways of doing it.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:27 PM

I have a Brother machine with a neck space of about 5 inches and I quilt my own. I just roll and take my time. I still only do straight line or quilt in the ditch but you can still make it look good. The largest I have quilted is a queen size. I do have a gentlemen that I had quilt a king size for me because I wanted it to be fancy quilted.

Kim
Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 PM

I quilt my own on my machine. It does have a large throat, and that helps. It has a 9 1/2 inch throat....just measured, but it doesn't matter. I am too "cheap" to send one out to be quilted. I SID most of the time and am quite happy with that. Sometimes I do a diagonal cross stitch-type thing and sometimes I use a combination of both. I did learn to put my ironing board at a 90 degree angle to the left of my machine, and that helps support the weight of the quilt. It was impossible before that. Gravity always won.

Dina
Old 01-07-2012, 06:31 PM

As ckcowl said, there are shops that will rent out their longarms. There is a shop not too far from me who does lessons and rents out time on their longarms. Probably the best of both worlds for those that want to do that. Me, I'm a handquilter. Only do smaller charity quilts on my domestic machine. Best of both worlds for ME.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 PM

My very first few quilts were tied, because I didn't know how to quilt. I soon learned to quilt on my domestic machine and quilted all my quilts on my domestic machine. I'm getting older, and I was having trouble getting down on the kitchen floor to pin my quilts, so I got one of the more inexpensive longarms and have been doing my own quilting on that. I've always wanted to do it all because I love every part of it. I know some really prefer piecing to quilting. Some prefer quilting to piecing. Nothing wrong with either, I just like both and want to see it all the way through. I've never sent one out, although a lot of you do a much better job than I do. I just love doing it!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 PM

I do my own. I have a larger throat space now but I did my own on a 1980's JCPenney's before I got this newer machine. I can't/won't afford to send them out. But I do LOVE the look of what the long armers on the QB can do for the quilts they show us! My largest was a extra lrg queen. I am going to do a king for myself soon, tho.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 PM

I quilt my own. I used to quilt them on my Bernina, but this last year I bought an HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down and love love love it.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:08 PM

I hand quilt all of my quilts. I find the hand quilting very relaxing and peaceful. I do not use a frame, everything is done in my lap. I couldn't afford to have someone else do them.