Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Remember the Old Quilts >

Do You Remember the Old Quilts

Do You Remember the Old Quilts

Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I only prewash hand dyes and batiks routinely. I look at some of the darks and may test a swatch in hot water to see what happens.
I would never prewash a kit of fabrics or precuts either :D:D:D
Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I prefer Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting for most of my quilts. This is the "old-fashioned" type of batting that antique quilts were made with, and requires close quilting (every 2") because it is not needlepunched or bonded. One reason I love this batting is because it gets softer with every washing.

I don't like Warm n Natural as well as the MMBR. WnN is needlepunched through scrim, and this gives it a stiffer drape. However, the needlepunching through scrim makes it extremely stable, so quilting lines can be 10 inches or more apart. Its stability makes this a great batting to use in wallhangings and for tied quilts.

I do not prewash fabrics, but I do test for colorfastness before using. The test involves dropping a small piece into water to see if any color bleeds into the water, and also rubbing the damp fabric against white fabric to see if any dye "crocks" (transfers).

The crinkly effect is expected in the type of quilts I make. If you examine antique hand-quilted quilts, you will notice that they are crinkly and soft. The puffy comforter look is a modern look. Also, if you do not want wrinkles, then it's a good idea to prewash your fabrics to eliminate any shrinkage and use a polyester batting (which will not shrink). This gives a different effect, with no wrinkles.

If you stitch around the edge of a quilt before attaching binding, and you have puckers from that stitching, that is a problem with fabric stretching. Starching fabric gives it stability so it is less likely to distort from cutting and handling. Using a walking foot also helps feed the layers evenly so you don't get puckering.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

I wash after the binding is on. I love the crinkly look.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Where do you find the Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting. Also, I am beginning to like the wringles. It makes the quilt look old. Thanks for telling me about sewing around the edges. I did not know,

Prism99, when you say starch the fabric, when do you starch it, after you completed the blocks or as you do the blocks?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Not Prism, but I starch all my fabric before cutting.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I have gotten the Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon batting most recently at JoAnn Fabrics online when it was on sale. Not sure what the local JoAnn store carries now as haven't been there in a long time. Also try Googling for online sources. Another batting I like a lot and use is Hobbs 80/20.

I don't prewash my fabrics, so normally there is enough sizing already that I don't have problems with distortion during cutting and piecing. If I do have to prewash a fabric (say, to set dyes in it), then I starch the fabric before cutting. I also always heavily starch backing fabric and bias strips (even if fabric has not been washed) using a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water; the heavy starching ensures stability.

Many people spray starch as they piece blocks. I don't, but that's because I personally have difficulty with spray starch. Seems like the overspray gets everywhere, plus I don't have the patience to wait for starch to sink in and my iron is always too hot so I have a tendency to scorch the starch.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 PM

Thanks Prism 99! Great info-
Old 12-22-2010, 06:37 AM

Hi! Just finished reading your crated topics! Good for you...I feel bad I haven't even seen them before...
I'll keep watching and try to be more helpful! your quilting Mommy :)
I've done both, pre wash fabs and not. The only thing I have to say is be sure that you're consistent within your quilt...don't mix pre-washed and unwashed in the same quilt.
I love warm and natural for wall hangings, table toppers, and light weight quilts. If you want something with more bulk check on the poly blends. I would stay away from the wool batting...I'd love the warmth...but talk about not being able to wash your quilt for fear of shrinkage!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 AM

I use starch when I have thinner fabrics and also on satin fabric. I don't use it on any polyester or fabric stretches to much.