Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remember? >

Do you remember?

Do you remember?

Old 09-29-2013, 07:15 AM

Default Do you remember?

Within in the last year someone posted either a tutorial or within a general thread instructions on how to create a shoulder quilt that used scrap strips. It had a cut-out about mid-way so that it draped on either side of the neck over the front of the user and was solid across the back.

I've looked and looked and tried to remember the name to put in the search bar but I'm at a loss. I have an elderly lady I'd like to make one for as we head into cold weather here in Idaho.

Thanks for listening...
Old 09-29-2013, 07:45 AM

Sounds like you are talking about something shaped like the old orange floatation devices used in boats, but maybe with covering for the arms. Also like a cape. There was a free pattern for a cape a few years ago from Hancock Fabrics, designed to be used with fleece. It was basically a square with a hole cut out in the center with a little more cut out at the front of the neck, but there's no reason you couldn't cut it down the center from the neck area. The neck area would be a 16" circle. You'd probably want a square twice the length of the back of the neck to a chair surface of a person plus 8" (half the 16" neck cutout), I think that would be a 60" square (or 58" for a shorter person).
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM

While I'm not quite elderly, that sounds like something I'd like, too. I often drape a throw around my neck and shoulders, but it is a bit unwieldy.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 AM

try this link...it was a free pattern from Moda.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/s...rap-b4817.html
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
try this link...it was a free pattern from Moda.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/s...rap-b4817.html
I love that pattern. So easy I made several for the local nursing home for those who aren't/can't be helped out by friends and family. You may be surprised by how many would love that comfort.

Here is another quick easy fleece pattern:
http://www.nancysnotions.com/jump.do...=cozyshoulders
Old 09-29-2013, 08:06 AM

I think this may be what you're thinking of. I made one for a family member, it was quick and easy and they have enjoyed using it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t208787.html
Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 AM

Wow within one hour the one I was looking for is found!!!! Yes it was the Moda one...and Yes the link to "12 Pure Comfort Wraps are done!!!! is exactly what I was looking for as Dollyyo had found making adjustments to the original pattern made them more comfortable around the neck Post #84.

I thought that I had made a copy with instructions added for adjustments... I made one last year but had given it away and I'm such a pattern person I couldn't 'remember' exactly how I did it! Now I will copy and get to the sewing room.

Thank-you RainydayQuilter ~NanaCsews2 ~ ktbb (Kate) ~ your efforts have solved my mystery!!! Thanks also to charsuewilson for your time in trying to help me with my perhaps lame description! I think you would be pleased with the Moda pattern AngeliaR as I'm told the one I made is used daily by the person I made earlier this year.

Thanks to all...this board is just the bestest!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Why don't you make a tree skirt with ties on the inside circle opening and at the bottom opening? It could be made wide enough to cover the arms. Just a thought.