Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remove pins as you sew or sew over them? >

Do you remove pins as you sew or sew over them?

Do you remove pins as you sew or sew over them?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Sometimes I remove them, sometimes I sew other them. If they are holding a intersection I sew over them, otherwise I remove them.
That's me all over. I'm kind of "fair weather" about it but mostly over I go. I wear glasses so I luckily haven't been hit in the eye. Rarely I hit a pin and break or bend a needle. No worries I have more. Lol.
Max
Burke, VA
Old 03-31-2015, 04:47 AM

Default sewing over pins or not

I never sew over pins. When I pin I often set the pins far enough from the needle area so the pin clears the needle. Or, I remove the pin as it approaches the needle. If it's a tricky area I pin up to the end of the fabrics and then carefully remove the pin before it nears the needle.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 AM

I try to never sew over pins. I have a fear of tearing up my machines.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 AM

I'm one who used to sew up to & remove pin but have now switched to a glue stick and it works a lot better!!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 AM

Growing up, my mom taught me to sew over pins, but she used super tiny shafted pins and a mechanical machine. Now with my computerized machine and the bigger quilting pins, I stop and take them out. I flinch every time I hit one accidentally. I also find it almost impossible to sew over pins when I use my 1/4" guide foot. The pins just pile up in front of the fence, so I'm forced to remove them.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 AM

I use super fine blue glass head pins and I pin a lot. I do pull them out just before the get under the foot using my index finger nail. Once you get in the habit of doing it it becomes automatic. I do miss occasionally but pulling them out saves a step later.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 AM

I use the very fine glass-head pins also, as when you stick the pin into the fabrics it disturb the seating of the two pieces of fabric less, in my opinion. But I insert them back from the path of the foot whenever possible, and depending on what I am holding together, I pull them out and adjust the fabric well in advance of reaching the foot because pulling a pin out on the last second can cause the top layer to pull back a smidge.

Sewing over them? Not any more!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:11 AM

Does anyone else remember when we didn't have hinged presser feet? I can remember the big news in sewing was a hinged foot that could sew over pins. As Barb mentioned, garment sewing sometimes required lots of pins to get the seam right.
Now I usually take the pins out, operative word usually. I sometimes remove them after they are under the presser foot but not under the needle. I have broken a needle by hitting a pin and the potential damage is high.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 AM

I sew over them very slowly. Also most of the time I pin from left to right stopping just short of the seam line . Diane C
Old 03-31-2015, 05:57 AM

I do not sew over pins. I was told it could do untold damage to my machine. I pin a lot but keep the pins back from the seam allowance and I sometimes remove them as I sew.