Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you send your quilts out?

Blog Entries
    I do my own quilting...start to finish. I handquilt so it takes an extra amount of time. Maybe lots of mistakes, lots of boos-boos but made with lots of love. I feel complete ownership when I do it this way.

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    I send mine out because I don't have the space for quilting, nor do I have the time.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

I do my own, I have done up to full size (many times) and happy with results. I have a queen size quilt and a king size waiting to be quilting, I will do those myself. I know I can go near by and rent a long arm but just not interested. I can't imagine sending them out but that is me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    *gasp*
    JCrow ... and to think I suggested that you might consider a purchase and you have the equipment you need already?

ITA two years later I would have at least ... opened the box ... and set it up .... and been practicing ... and developing some comfort level with it after that much time. *another gasp*

I have to be honest, if i had the 830 AND the frame, I think by now I would have at least tried machine quilting with it .....and i KNOW my hubby would have expected me too! LOL.

I typically send out anything bigger than a wall hanging. I have promised myself that when my new bernina comes home (a 450...only one more month!) that I will really really try to become more proficient at machine quilting.

betsey

My favourite part of any quilt is the hand quilting. So, no, I have never had a quilt LA

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    From the Bernina USA site: http://www.berninausa.com/webautor-d...ame-032811.pdf I believe the cost is around $2K.
    I only paid $500 for my Bernina frame. I have no place to set it up so that's why it's still in its boxes. Plus, I don't think I would do a good job quilting. I tried meandering on a sandwich once and it was harder than I thought. I bow to all of you who quilt your own quilts, espeically with your sewing machines!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I send each and every one of mine to the LAQ. I am not interested in any manner in doing the quilting - my 'art' lies in making the quilt tops. As my mom has always said, "Thank goodness we're all different!" and that we have the freedom to choose what we do!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I only paid $500 for my Bernina frame. I have no place to set it up so that's why it's still in its boxes. Plus, I don't think I would do a good job quilting. I tried meandering on a sandwich once and it was harder than I thought. I bow to all of you who quilt your own quilts, espeically with your sewing machines!
    So you got a good bargain ... Congratulations!!!
    Though it's not much of a bargain, if you have no space to use it ... or no intent to use it.

If you think you can't do it ... you're absolutely right!

Though trying it once does not really give a fair assessment of your ability to do something. Gosh, if I stopped at everything just because the first time it was not perfect ... OMG where would I be in life? Sometimes you just have to do it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th ..... and more times, and gradually we get better.

Think about this ... were you able to piece your quilts as well, the first time?
    I'm sure you got better with practice.
    At least most of us have.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

How about selling it? Not here, obviously, but Craiglist or something like that. Even a notice at your LQS or guild. Those frames are made to accept a large number of machines, not just the high end Berninas. Guaranteed to bring in more than you paid for it, especially considering it's in mint condition. You could easily double the $500 you paid for it I bet. Just a thought.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I've never sent a quilt out. they're mine from start to finish, well, until I give them away.
    Same here, do up to queen size on my DSM with increasingly better results each time. I simply can't afford to send them out and have learned to love the whole process. Quilting in sections, then putting sections together works great and I do that when I can - it does take some planning ahead of time re: the quilting pattern so that you can't tell it was done in sections. Beats wrestling with too much bulk. The only quilt I ever sent out was a Tee Shirt quilt years ago.

I send mine out...no shame here...I love to make the tops...but the quiltings is not my cup of tea...

I make big quilts all th time...very few are smaller than a twin....rolling of that and attempting to quilt on my regular machine is just a nightmare to me...I will quilt my own table runners and small things.

So I too will stimulate the ecomony! :-)
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

I used to send all of my quilts out because I didn't realize I could spray baste them and thought trying to pin or stitch baste them was ridiculous. Now I spray baste the heck out of them and go to town on my domestic machine. Good think I like straight line quilting
    If I have a special quilt that I want to be nicer then I would send it out to a longarm quilter, but for now I am enjoying not having an added cost of quilter for my quilts, esp when I sell a quilt, I get more profit that way.

I used to quilt all of my quilts, even an oversized king; but I have sent my last 3 quilts out because I have so many tops I want to make now. I will probably go back to machine quilting in the fall.

I have never sent a quilt out for some one else to do but.... I have two very special quilts that I am considering sending out. One is just too large for me and my machine and the other is just, special.

I used to send my quilts out for quilting when I was an over the road truck driver, as my time at home was very limited. I would still do the smaller stuff up to a lap size. Now I've retired & have a long arm, so I quilt them all myself. Thank you, all, that use our services! It gives us great pleasure to quilt your treasures & see your delight in our abilities!

Blog Entries
    I tie the smaller quilts (baby and coverlets) and I give my big quilts to a friend of mine who does long arm quilting. She does beautiful work and I would rather do it this way and give the money to someone I totally trust with my quilts and know that I will love whatever she does - and I do! I have been recommending her to other quilters around here. I would much rather help a cottage industry than a commercial outfit. It is more personal too. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I have never sent one out, I have done queen and 1 King on my DM, but now I do quilt for others on my mid-arm. My frame is 10 feet and I can do up to a Queen; I have access to a different LA I can use to do the Kings.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

In my area, we have a shop where you can rent a long arm, the owner will guide you through the process. She also has a computer program that will do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
    I send mine out as soon as I have it put together with the backing pieced! Someone's got to stimulate the economy right?
    I also send mine out. Anything I can do for the economy.......
    Gigi to Jordan and Jake

I've never sent one out, I don't have a LA, just a DSM, so I mostly make up to twin size and just SID, haven't tried FMQ. But I have in mind to make a large quilt for my son's wedding, and plan on sending it out.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have never sent out a quilt to be quilted. I have quilted my own, whatever the size. I just do a large stipple or meadering, I like to say I made it all myself.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I send mine out...and am in the process of finding a NEW quilter that is closer to OK. One that will NOT quilt my quilts to death and beyond, but will follow my more traditional quilting requests!

Quote Originally Posted by humbird View Post
    I have never sent a quilt out to be done. I either hand quilt (which is becoming hard with my "old" stiff fingers!) or QAYG. I would hate to gift a quilt and say someone else quilted it.
    Who says they tell them they didn't quilt it? I suspect there are some who are happy to let the fact someone else quilted their "homemade" quilt remain a secret. Just as I am sure there are many that are honest about having paid someone to do the quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    I send mine out...and am in the process of finding a NEW quilter that is closer to OK. One that will NOT quilt my quilts to death and beyond, but will follow my more traditional quilting requests!
    Um, traditional hand quilted quilts were quilted quite closely. Look at welsh, Amish or antique quilts. Any that have survived had dense backgound fill. Usually a grid of 1" cross hatching that filled in behind decorative designs like medallions, feathers, or other decorative stitchwork.
    Anything that was quilted more sparsely didn't survive. But then again many utility quilts weren't expected to survive.

Batting that you can quilt more than 2" apart is a more recent invention, like only came about in the past 30 to 50 years or so. Until then all you could use was cotton or wool batting that was not needle punched nor had a scrim. It was usually hand carded so dense quilting, or as you call it "quilted to death" was necessary. So I really think you mean your more "Modern" quilting requests if you prefer sparce quilting.

I quilt all of mine on my domestic machine. I make mostly bed size quilts (twin - up to king). I would love to own a Long arm but it is not in the budget. I did have a Handi quilter frame for a while and used my Juki TL98E on it. But I decided that the space was too limiting for bed size quilts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast