Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Sew... >

Do You Sew...

Do You Sew...

Old 10-23-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
During Lightning storms? Ok, I know it sounds foolish but at what point do you say I should stop? Our coffeemaker has been blown out 3 times now, it will sometimes trip the kitchen breaker. I use a power strip that says it will help but just wondering if anyone has had any major problems during storms.
I see you list Naples as one of your locations. I've been in this area for 36 years and I have learned to always unplug my sewing machines and iron - especially in summer. We get some pretty intense storms with lots of lightening and I won't trust my babies to any surge protector. Better safe than sorry so it's now a habit to unplug everything when I'm done and no I won't sew during a thunderstorm either!! I've had stuff fried before and FPL will only reimburse you for a fraction of what it's worth. Just my 2 cents worth
Old 10-23-2015, 12:55 PM

If it is really bad, yes, I do unplug my sewing machines. And my computer. But it has to be very close and very violent. It doesn't happen very often here.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:33 PM

If I cannot count to 10 between thunder clap and lightening flash, I pull the plugs. On everything. Twice now we have have lightening hit nearby and create backup surges and ruin a lot of expensive electronics, including the refrigerator. NOW I know to pull the plugs for the duration. Usually doesn't last long, and saves a lot of money on replacement. I sure would not want to replace my computerized machine and lightening is not covered by homeowners
Old 10-23-2015, 05:31 PM

I've always heard that you should unplug all electronics during storms because unless you have the really good surge protectors, you can still have problems. I have my surge protectors mounted on the wall so I can easily unplug them when I'm thru sewing. I'm not taking any chances with my Bernina.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 PM

My sewing machine is the most expensive computer in our house. I don't sew during storms. We have a whole house surge protector installed, I plug my machine into a surge protector, and I still unplug my machine every time I stop using it. I don't want to take any chances with my sewing machine!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:32 PM

I've had more of a problem from power outages being restored than from storms. The worst outage was due to someone running their vehicle into the power pole somewhere down the main road. Major surge when the power came back on several hours later. Got an error message on my almost brand new electric range. Stove top works fine but haven't figured out how to reset digital display in order to use oven. Tech support was less than helpful - just told me what the error code meant.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
During Lightning storms? Ok, I know it sounds foolish but at what point do you say I should stop? Our coffeemaker has been blown out 3 times now, it will sometimes trip the kitchen breaker. I use a power strip that says it will help but just wondering if anyone has had any major problems during storms.
I have several treadle machines so that I can sew when we have thunderstorms.
Sharon in Texas
Old 10-24-2015, 05:09 AM

I always unplug my machines and our computer stuff if lightning is forecast or around. We had lightning hit one of our vent pipes on the roof, maybe the attic fan. It had electricity to it to run a motor. The lightning went from the attic fan to all the wiring in our house. Damaged TVs. radio system. Lightning is powerful enough to blow through most any strip or surge protector. So please unplug and do not sew during lightning storms.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:23 PM

I am very protective of my sewing machine! No sewing during electrical storms for me!! I unplug my machine too, even with the surge protector. I would some day love to own a treadle machine so I can sew any time I want, but I am still looking & saving for it right now.