Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time? >

Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time?

Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time?

Old 11-22-2014, 04:42 PM

Happy Birthday! It's wonderful that you are still able to enjoy quilting (no arthritis problems in your hands.) Keep doing what you're doing.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:57 PM

I don't have that much cooking although I will be making cookies this year. I bring a side dish or a dessert to the family gatherings. I sew whenever I get the chance although I will say I don't sew as much in the summertime. Just enjoy the time you do get to sew.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Unhappy

This thread sure hits home! Normally I'm sewing like mad trying to get items done for Christmas--but right now I'm laying on the sofa, knee iced and on painkillers. Had a full knee replacement this past Monday and am working hard, and praying hard, that in another week I can at least be using the DSM to piece. My goal is to get back on the long arm (at least short bursts) by mid-Dec. Probably little optimistic.

My DH mailed 2 quilts and a tree skirt to my sister's today for her and her kids families---have a tree skirt for daughter (needs binding) and tablerunners for SMIL and DS's family to quilt and bind--hopefully all before Christmas!

Knee seems to be more stiff,swollen and painful than the other one 4years ago! Darn!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 PM

I don't really do holidays so much, but I am kind of on a break for other reasons right now. Part of the problem is overload, too many projects started. I'm not even going near Joann or any other fabric store either.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Not usually. This year I will because we just moved and since we're in a temporary housing situation we're trying not to unpack most of our stuff. I haven't done any sewing or quilting in more than a month. Boo!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 PM

I sew as much as I can thru the holidays. In the spring and fall, I'm really busy on weekends (my prime sewing time) with car shows so I try to get as much done in the summer and winter as I can. Since I do the books at work, the end of the year is really busy so sometimes I don't get as much done as I'd like.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 PM

I give handmade gifts so this time of year I spend most of my free time dancing between the sewing machine, cutting/ironing board and design board.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 PM

Quilting is like a drug and has to be done every day.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:14 PM

I quilt year 'round. Quilting keeps my bp low and is hopefully keeping Alzheimer's off my plate for many years!! I quilt for my health and my joy as I love what I do!!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 PM

I've only been quilting about 1 1/2 yrs. Last Christmas one of my daughters & her family were here from Bulgaria so no sewing was done except playing on the machine with my grandsons. And my new sewing room is finally completed as of Sunday so I'm filling the new room with everything & then putting it in order so no sewing has been happening for well over a month! Hopefully next year I can make gifts for everyone be it table runners, placemats ect for the holidays. But this Thanksgiving DH & I will be going camping and for my 1st time I have my small Janome Jem packed up in the RV ready to do some sewing while we relax. I hope we can make this a ritual every Thanksgiving since our kids are so spread out over the states and Bulgaria. Happy Thankgiving everyone!
Jeri