Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time? >

Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time?

Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
Do you continue sewing, quilting, through the holiday season? Seems like there is so much to do cooking, decorating, cleaning and shopping this time of year that I don't get to sew as much as I would like. How about you?
Have to hit the sewing room harder at Christmas. I make too much stuff
Old 11-21-2014, 02:14 PM

I get sewing done, then it's design and print Xmas cards (I use the Silhouette Cameo) and photo calendars.
Photoshop and Indesign get a good workout.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:18 PM

I save my hand sewing, knitting, and crocheting for evenings when my DH wants some company in front of the tv. He cannot understand how I can watch tv and do hand work, too. I sew during the day whenever I can. I have so many kits to work on that I may never run out of projects. I am 81 and a retired teacher. Nice to hear from you folks and see that we have something in common. I don't know what I would do without my sewing. I am NEVER bored. My DH's hobby is work, and so he doesn't understand what a real hobby is. He owns a Chicken & Rib Restaurant and Catering and since we close the end of Oct. he is now the most bored man in town. Monday after Thanksgiving deer hunting starts and he processes deer and when he doesn't need me to help I can sew again. It's a great life.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

No, I bake pies and make dressing on Wed. Make Thanksgiving meal W/Daughter. If lucky I get to sew on Friday evening. So I don't sew for two days. Christmas Eve I have all over and cook a big dinner.
If I had my choice I would skip all the Holidays and just sew.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:01 PM

I have my cutting table/project table set up in the living room and Thanksgiving and Christmas are about the only times I put it away. With all the kids and grandkids here, we need the room. Same with my sewing room, it also has spare bed and toys, so need to put the sewing away. In fact, that's what I've been working on today. But had to laugh at myself because this afternoon I prepared a new hand embroidery project to work on when I have a little time. Just have to have some sewing to do, apparently.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM

My sewing room is also my guest room. My 90 yr old mother with dementia will be here overnight for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I am racing to finish quilting my first king-sized quilt before I have to tear down all the tables surrounding my machine and ready the room for a 2 yr old mind in a 90 yr old body.

The second I return from taking her home (out of state nursing home) i will sew sew sew every available minute to finish Christmas gifts.

I don't mean this to sound like I resent my mother. I drive 4 hours each week to spend a day with her and treasure every minute while she still mostly knows who I am. I would give up everything to have her back. She was the best mother you could ever imagine -- sweet, kind, generous, and lots of fun.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:03 AM

This a time of year when I really ramp up my sewing as I make a lot of gifts to give. It's when I spend the most time there because I have a deadline.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:08 AM

I actually quilt more during the holidays because my job, in education, has time away from the office. I work very hard the week before Thanksgiving so I can have time on the long Thanksgiving week-end to put up the Christmas decorations and then quilt, piece, bind or just get some serious time in on what ever quilting project is at hand. My guild has a work day the Saturday of Thanksgiving week-end and we really turn out the work on that day!

I try to again set aside some serious concentrated time during the Christmas break to get my quilting passion out of my head and under the needle.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Furball View Post
My sewing room is also my guest room. My 90 yr old mother with dementia will be here overnight for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I am racing to finish quilting my first king-sized quilt before I have to tear down all the tables surrounding my machine and ready the room for a 2 yr old mind in a 90 yr old body.

The second I return from taking her home (out of state nursing home) i will sew sew sew every available minute to finish Christmas gifts.

I don't mean this to sound like I resent my mother. I drive 4 hours each week to spend a day with her and treasure every minute while she still mostly knows who I am. I would give up everything to have her back. She was the best mother you could ever imagine -- sweet, kind, generous, and lots of fun.
I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this, Furball. My mom passed away this summer, 2 weeks from turning 94 and thankfully, still with all her mind. I know it must be very painful to see your Mum's body without her mind. Prayers for you both.

To answer your question, Yes, I have to set aside a lot of my sewing for the holidays. We have tons of company and I'm a messy quilter.... seems like a tornado explodes when I'm in the middle of a project. So, I have to put a lot of it away so visitors aren't buried in my mess. Well, it's really not that big a mess but I'm at an age where I can't deal with the company and the quilting. Happy Holidays, everyone.

Last edited by nanna-up-north; 11-22-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
Reason I asked...I had to rid up my sewing area so had to put projects aside for now. Only one, a t shirt quilt to finish before Thanksgiving; it is all pieced, just need to apply backing and either tie or machine quilt.. The children are visiting tomorrow to celebrate my 80th birthday, so I am cleaning house. Living alone, I tend to not do the deep cleaning... like shampoo carpets as often as when I was younger. On the plus side, getting it all done will give me new incentive to begin again finishing some UFOs....which are many! Happy Thanksgiving Day!
I don't usually do "Christmas sewing" anymore. But I do want to comment on this post. I have just finished a UFO which is a tee shirt quilt. The top was made before I learned how to do a tee quilt properly -- I did not stabilize the shirts before I assembled the top. It worked out fine because I used the sashings to keep the blocks square. But DSM quilting is a problem for me because of the stretching of the tee fabric and the "rubberized" logos on some of the shirts. One of the tee quilts I had done previously was done all by hand with some tying. The second one was machine quilted stitching in the ditch along the sashings and then hand quilting around the logos. This one, I tied the whole thing. It has made the softest most relaxed quilt, so comfy to lie under. I love it. Keep some of that cleaning for AFTER they leave and enjoy your family while they are with you. Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by GailG; 11-22-2014 at 07:01 AM.