Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you take as much pleasure? >

Do you take as much pleasure?

Do you take as much pleasure?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I like to iron too! I have two friends who also like to iron and we compare notes on irons, ironing board covers, etc. We know we are in a minority, but, I don't mind that particular chore! Now, if someone could come empty my dishwasher on a regular basis...
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 AM

I also love to iron, especially my fabric. It is relaxing for me...the rhythm of the movement, the heat, the scent. I think it comes from when my mother taught me to iron as a young girl, using my father's handkerchiefs and the pillowcases to learn. My family thinks I'm strange!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 AM

If I never iron anything again, I would be doing the happy dance. Hate ironing wth a passion. But then I did grow up doing the ironing for 10-12 people, including my grandmothers doily's. Don't get me wrong, I iron the fabric for quilting and sewing, I just don't like it
Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 AM

I enjoy doing it but not if it's a piece bigger then a yard.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by vivoaks
Definitely, but only with quilting fabric - not with shirts!! or other articles of clothing!! ;-)
Ironing my clothing is a big chore to me so I iron those only when I have to, but I could iron my quilting fabric for hours, (and have).
Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 AM

I really enjoy the starching, ironing and preparations as well. There is something very relaxing and satisfing about this mindless task. You get to really think about how the project will go together and the joy of giving it to the new owner. I am working on Mondo bags for Christmas presents and have been thinking about other projects as well when doing this task.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 AM

I only starch and iron when I 'm ready to us it. I can't stand doing all that work then putting it away and having to re-do it when ready to use. Also I think to much heat weaken the fabric and is not good for it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Not to put a wrinkle in things [okay that was on purpose], but do you really want to do things twice? [All fabric fondling aside] I iron if I am getting ready to use the material, but ironing and putting it away where it will get creased and have to be ironed again doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe I had to iron more in my younger years than some of you, but ironing several yards of fabric once is really enough for me!

I was wondering too about starching before you put them away. Is it good to store starched fabric? I prefer to wait to wash, etc. until I am using the fabrics in case there are other fabrics in the quilt I can't wash, like jelly rolls. Then I wash it after the quilt is completed so it all shrinks together. I guess I get the same thrill, just delayed until time to use the fabric.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:23 AM

I love to "play" with my fabric and that includes ironing. My fabric is my eye candy, and there is nothing better than going through or adding to my stash -- then selecting and preparing the fabrics for cutting.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I am in the process of ironing and startching some new fabric that I just pre-washed that had been stacked on a shelf. While I was ironing the fq's I had pre-washed I realized I was taking as much pleasure in what I was doing looking at the wrinkles release as I do when I lay the fabric out to cut for a quilt top. I mean this stuff is just going into the stash for right now.
Does anyone else ever enjoy this usally boring task?
I'll sit and hug and love on fabric---------BUT I HATE IRONING!