Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Think This Could Be 'Guy' Enough? >

Do You Think This Could Be 'Guy' Enough?

Do You Think This Could Be 'Guy' Enough?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:04 PM

That's a pretty quilt, I like bright colors. His quilt won a 2nd place ribbon in my quilt guild's show. Its all pieced on a 1936 Singer 201k treadle and quilted on a long arm machine; its queen size. The blocks are 16" double sawtooth stars, done in mostly Mission Valley woven plaids and stripes; the backgrounds are shirting prints.
This is my son's idea of a manly quilt.
Sharon W.
Attached Thumbnails ctqg-show-2011-001.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 12-14-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:46 PM
KLO

Can't imagine that your nephew wouldn't love it! I know I do! Thanks for posting that blog. I will be going back to read that again and again. It's a colorful site for getting rid of the winter doldrums.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Absolutely what a great quilt. Sure hope you post your version when your done.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:15 AM

They will wrap and wear their quilts (cape-like) around the house, watching football, sitting at the computer, or just putzing around the house. We even had one lady said that her husband drives down to the local coffee shop with the quilt around him (I can only imagine that it is drive-through).

While muted colors seem to be the go-to when we select for men, I do keep in mind that Ricky Timms comes up with some beautifully bright colors. Now, I don't know if he struts around with quilts wrapped around his shoulders, but it does remind me that a little pop of color is good for the guys, too. Plus, we all like soft things, right? So, why not add minky to the back of these quilts (afterall -- they are likely not typically heirloom quilts).

I think this design is perfect for a guy, and as he is at USC, I would make sure to get some golds that really pop! Thank you for sharing this design !

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-28-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 AM

My boys love their quilts. I have made them both a few of them (Red Sox, dog prints, Cat in the Hat and a few others). You would may be surprise to hear what they would like. My youngest 27 and in the USCG asked for the Cat in the Hat quilt not for the bed but more for the couch, but did ask for it to be extra long.
Originally Posted by HomespunHearth View Post
We get a lot of emails from ladies (generally) who are wanting to make something for their husbands or sons - and it seems that the gist is that these guys really don't put 'a quilt' on the top of their "want" list.

However, it's so funny to hear back from these ladies later that when their men/boys are given a quilt, it becomes part of their at-home attire. They will wrap and wear their quilts (cape-like) around the house, watching football, sitting at the computer, or just putzing around the house. We even had one lady tell us that her husband drives down to the local coffee shop with the quilt around him (I can only imagine that it is drive-through).

While muted colors seem to be the go-to when we select for men, I do keep in mind that Ricky Timms comes up with some beautifully bright colors. Now, I don't know if he struts around with quilts wrapped around his shoulders, but it does remind me that a little pop of color is good for the guys, too. Plus, we all like soft things, right? So, why not add minky to the back of these quilts (afterall -- they are likely not typically heirloom quilts).

I think this design is perfect for a guy, and as he is at USC, I would make sure to get some golds that really pop! Thank you for sharing this design !
Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 AM

I was laughing at the idea of men wearing quilts as capes, then realised that my ex used to do that with the sofa quilt when he wanted to sit at the computer on a weekend morning and couldn't be bothered to get dressed. The quilt was 60" square and the man was a slim 5'10, if that helps!

It's a lovely quilt which could appeal to anyone of any age and any gender. Men are as individual as women are, and have different tastes in colours. The colouring of that particular quilt would appeal to someone who likes red, and who likes bright colours. Find out which colours he likes, and whether he'd like brights (which it's beautifully suited to) or more muted colours. I really wouldn't use plaids or old-fashioned fabrics, it'd wreck the quilt. This quilt is about luminscence, about getting colours to glow together. It'd be best done with batiks. Some should be lighter and brighter, and some should be darker and more muted, in order to get the glowing effect. You could just as easily make this quilt with blue as the main colour, or green, or purple, or possibly a very dark colour such as shades of dark brown or navy. If you make it darker, just make the other colours a bit darker as well, and you'll find that they stand out more against the dark background. Let's say you use dark blue where this quilt uses red. For the other fabrics, you could pick a combination of red, turquoise, lime green, and marigold (orangey-yellow). Perhaps purple as well. That'd be more muted, but still fun, and certainly wouldn't look girly. Here is a fairly bad photo of a quilt I made for a friend of mine which is more or less those colours, though not quite the look I'm envisaging here. http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/phot...1_DSCF2461.JPG

I think young people, both men and women, are more likely to like this kind of quilt and less likely to like the very traditional sort of American quilt that's often made by older women. I'd never make an old-fashioned sort of quilt (I'm 36), and I don't use old-fashioned fabrics either. I can't stand florals, for instance. So I always find it odd when people talk about how hard it is to make quilts for men, because I don't gender any of my quilts and they'd all do just as well for men or women, boys or girls. The baby quilts are usually brighter and often feature a fun animal motif, although that said, I just made an elephant wall hanging for a pair of friends of mine which is quite similar to an elephant baby quilt I'm working on now.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Most quilt patterns are masculine enough depending on the colors you use. I would not use a flowery patern either in pattern or fabric . I saw a disappearing nine patch in browns and rust and beiges that was great for a man