Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: do you toss your thread clippings on the floor?

Banned
    I have a plastic hotel ice bucket that I line with a grocery plastic bag - when it's full it goes to the garbage and a new plastic bag is inserted

I have a plastic grocery bag "blue taped" to the table so I can just put them in there as I clip them.

Blog Entries
    I have a small trash can on the floor that I have been training myself to use. I used to just put them on the table on the other side of the machine until I was done sewing, but they always ended up all over my project so I'm trying to fix my system. Old dog, new tricks.

Well, I save them and make a art quilt out of just the thread with them. The picture that I wanted is not on this computer so will have to add another time, but this will give you an idea.

Just Like a Newspaper, Black and White and Red All Over,
    Name:  Attachment-274336.jpe
Views: 34
Size:  55.6 KB

I try to get them in the trash can, but they tend to wind up on the floor and my clothes. I bought one on those long handle sticky rollers to roll over the rug before vacuuming that help the rollers in the vacuum.

I was until: I checked my vacume cleaners brushes. It took me an hour to get them all unwound and out of the brushes so they could clean.

NEVER! I have a trash can right next to my machine and they go there. I also use a hand vac for cleanup of any "misses". I have a dog and am a fanatic about not letting him get hold of any thread or long thin pieces of fabric. I know the thread isn't likely to cause a problem because it is never very long, but long pieces of things like thread or yarn can entangle the intestines of a dog or cat and can cause great havoc - meaning requiring surgery and possibly cause death.

QM
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I don't TOSS my thread clippings on the floor - but some of them manage to land there anyway! :?
    I try really hard to put them into the trash, but not always successful. I swear that my pins, scissors, cut pieces, etc enjoy base jumping to the floor. I have an extending magnet for the metal stuff, but really need the weekly work of my friend who cleans for us.

Blog Entries
    I roll some blue painter's tape (or masking tape) around my hand and stick it on the right side of my sewing cabinet. Loose threads get stuck there until the tape is full, at which time I throw it away and put a new one there. Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I roll some blue painter's tape (or masking tape) around my hand and stick it on the right side of my sewing cabinet. Loose threads get stuck there until the tape is full, at which time I throw it away and put a new one there. Works for me!
    oh never thought of this... that would be handy, could be stuck anywhere...

lots of good tips here, and nice to know I am not the only one with migrating threads and bits and pieces

I have been saving mine, thinking they might be handy for something.. I like the idea of stuffing... I plan to make more of the little stuffed owls, so this stuff would be handy for those.

No, I don't throw thread clipping on the floor of my studio any more than I throw empty cans on the floor of the kitchen. :shock: My threads go in an empty plastic frosting container as soon as I clip them and get thrown away when it's full.

well, I don't throw empty cans on the floor of my kitchen, but I do tend to have a lot of loose threads on the floor where I sew. This doesn't mean I would trash the house, it just means that threads have a way of going everywhere.
    (sometimes I do toss the threads to the floor, when I am on a roll and don't want to have to try to aim for the thread bin, doesn't mean I am a slob)

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    No, I don't throw thread clipping on the floor of my studio any more than I throw empty cans on the floor of the kitchen. :shock: My threads go in an empty plastic frosting container as soon as I clip them and get thrown away when it's full.

I aim for the trash but end up decorated with some. Combined with the dogs' hair all over me, they make an emphatic fashion statement. :-P

No loose threads on my carpeted floor. My cat would be likely to try to eat them. I grab the thread with one hand and cut with the other. I pull the sewing area trash can right next to me and put the threads directly into the trash can.

Guilty. On the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
    I was until: I checked my vacume cleaners brushes. It took me an hour to get them all unwound and out of the brushes so they could clean.
    On my upright vacuum I am usually able to cut through the tangles at right angles to the beater bar in order to remove the threads without lots of unwinding. My vac. grabbed the frayed corner of a mud rug and hysterically unravelled about 24 yards of plastic weft be fore I could turn it off. That's when I discovered cutting along the bar with a utility knife. Necessity is the mother of invention.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    No, I don't throw thread clipping on the floor of my studio any more than I throw empty cans on the floor of the kitchen. :shock:
    :roll: :roll:
    Yeah, that's a really analogous comparison.

No, mainly cause I hate having to clean up later. I also have 3 dogs who come in & sleep when I sew & one will pick up & eat most anything like that, so another good reason. I keep thread catchers, various kinds, wherever I sew, & try not to let anything fall on the floor. I use to save small plastic bags I got when shopping various places. Shoved one top edge under my sewing machine on the table, & as I clipped threads, there they went, & I would just empty into the waste basket every once in awhile. Now, there's free ones we can make, so that works too, though I have yet to stop quilting long enough to make me one, lol. I use to collect decorative tins, & some are small enough, minus a lid, to sit nearby & toss thread scraps in, so, no, I don't toss them on the floor, only to clean up later, lol....

If I am in my sewing room- yep, right to the floor. If I am in the kitchen, I toss them towards the trashcan, but then end up on the floor most of the time.

My husband HATES this, but I don't see why he cares- I vacuum my sewing room, and sweep the kitchen, not him. When he does woodworking he gets sawdust on the garage floor...how is that different? (Especially since he rarely does do a final sweep, he just uses the shop vac, which doesn't get it all...)

I don't throw mine on the floor and try hard not to let them fall there. The rug I have on the floor is a synthetic to which the threads cling strongly. My vacuum cleaners don't pick up all of them so I end up having to get down on hands and knees with large pieces of adhesive tape and roll them up. Taking extra care and a little bit of time to prevent them from ending up there is less time consuming and easier on my knees.

I toss them into a bag taped to the side of the sewing table ... and I save them for the birds in the spring. They use them to build and reinforce their nests. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffinGin
    I don't throw mine on the floor and try hard not to let them fall there. The rug I have on the floor is a synthetic to which the threads cling strongly. My vacuum cleaners don't pick up all of them so I end up having to get down on hands and knees with large pieces of adhesive tape and roll them up. Taking extra care and a little bit of time to prevent them from ending up there is less time consuming and easier on my knees.
    I do end up with thread on the floor quite often. I found that lint rollers work really well for picking up pesky threads.

The long arm quilter I hire uses like a 6x9 inch scrap piece of poly batting safety pinned to her blouse/apron...then she just takes the clipped thread and touches the batting and voila it sticks. No threads on her floor whatsoever!

I always forget about the poly bat thingee. I don't like threads or scraps or trims on my carpet so I have a basket right to my left next to the sewing machine and another basket near my cutting area for trims etc. I vacuum before I leave the room.

I like what another member said, "If I don't make a mess then I don't have to clean it up!" Now I need to apply that thought. Because I tend to get messy while doing a project, but since I'm blessed with a sewing room I can always shut the door while doing the project!

May The Lord Bless and Keep You Safe

Blog Entries
    i don't like to clean later, so i carefully collect when i clip

Well I aim for the waste basket but most end up on the floor.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast