Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting? >

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 AM

Old eyeglass cases work for storing rotary cutters, too. The cube type tissue boxes are a good size to use as a garbage collector for small scraps and threads when working on a project.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 AM

I use empty coffee cans to hold tiny scraps that are later transferred to a plastic bag to donate to a lady that makes dog beds for the SPCA. I use a chopstick to turn smaller pieces and I have a TV tray next to my machine with all the snips, notions and a stylus and seam ripper close at hand and not being knocked off the sewing table onto the floor
Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 AM

I have an oversize decorative mug/cup to hold my leaders and enders that will someday become a mimi quilt. I also use
the decorative "photo boxes" to hold small projects until I get around to finishing them. Office binder clips will hold a design wall up using command hooks either at home or class
Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 AM

I use a two pole paper towel holder (yard sale .50) glue a paper clip with button on top of the tall pole. this is used for all sizes of cone thread, paper clip is the thread guide. I also use baby nose syringe to blow dust out of machine. Tackle boxes for thread and supplies to travel, small suit case to carry machine, most anything in my house is game for sewing at one time or another.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 AM

I use a clear plastic bag that originally contained a set of new sheets. I punched a hold in the top flap and stick the left front leg of my clear extension table through that hole. This allows me to put the roll of binding for my quilt in the bag and feed it to the machine without it ending on the floor, unrolling and getting messed up. If I don't need it for binding I can use it to hold scraps that I might want to save from ending up on the floor.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 AM

I bought a small purse which has a million pockets specifically to use as my sewing "purse". It always has a hand sewing project in it, scissors, needles, marking pencils, etc. (all the basics) inside. They never get lost, plus the purse is ready to grab at a moment's notice if I am going somewhere where I may have a wait.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM

The most useful tip I have learned in yrs. came from the QB. Somebody talked about how to make a bobbin holder using a pc. of clear plastic corner moulding for drywall (found in lumber dept. at Lowe's or Home Depot). I also buy 1 1/2" hooks.
My work table has wood bookshelves over it. For the space I have, I insert 3 screws at equal distances apart since I use a pc. about 26-30" long. I gently push the plastic pc. into the hooks & tip it fwd. slightly into a gentle V shape. It has the right amt. of tight fit into the hooks. The bobbins sit on it perfectly & you can see the thread colors at a glance. I made little cardboard triangles & glued to the ends so the bobbins wouldn't fall off the end.

There is also a larger plastic moulding that thread spools would fit perfectly on but I haven't put it up yet.

These mouldings are usually found in a barrel type container or a tall cardboard box sitting on the floor. They're usually a puzzle to find because most employees have no idea what they're for. One Home Depot even had the container sitting in the paint dept. so you have to challenge them to find these things. I really loved this idea.
Pat G

You should have heard them when I told them what I was using it for. They thought I was so clever. LOL. It really is such a great idea.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I have a couple small brushes that I use to clean out lint from my machine. I also have 2 silverware storage things, with the tiers it's easier to see my rotary cutters and other tools.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 AM

I have a regular ironing board (for now) and I was SO tired of my iron cord messing up my nice pressed fabric as I worked my way across the board so I figured out a solution. I secured a retractable dog leash to the top of my bookcase and put the iron cord through it. Now the cord is up higher and retracts and moves with my ironing. Frustration is the mother of invention!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:57 AM

Forgot one-- I use the foam toe separators that come with manicure sets to store bobbins so threads don't unravel and tangle. They line up nicely in a section of a silverware tray and it's easy to see what colors I have already to go.