Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use pincushions? >

Do you use pincushions?

Do you use pincushions?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM

For mass amounts of pinning, I use the plastic box. For pinning applique I like a pincushion. For hand sewing and embroidery a handy pincushion is a must or I will stick a threaded needle into my lapel, shirt front or jeans knee, even the binding on a lampshade.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM

I have two sizes of Harbor Freight's magnetized parts bowls. I won't give them up for anything. And I don't have room to set pincushions that I'm not using.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 PM

I like to decorate with pin cushions, too. Some are so pretty I just can't bring myself to stick a pin in them...so silly, I know. I made a "workhorse" pin cushion and filled with silica beads so I can abuse the heck out of it...works great. I really need to make a separate one for sewing needles with sections so I can label and keep the like needles together. Better get busy!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 PM

I have always used pincushions and love them. I am now making them for myself and a few girl friends. I only like the utility pin cushions. They can be made quite cute though.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM

I will add that I like to make pin cushions. I have a machine embroidery design that is X stitch in a small design that I have used several times in velvet for gifts. One I stuffed with horse hair from my husbands horse trimmings. I shampooed, dried in the sun for a while so it was clean. Somewhere on the internet I found a source for metal filings that works well. Presently I'm making the cute hat pattern found on the internet. I have cut out the owl pieces but not put them together. I hope to give the gals in the family each a pincushion of some kind for Christmas.
I got the idea of the horse hair from a antique dealer that had done research on them.