Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos? >

Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:35 AM

Our library isn't large, but it isn't small either. The quilt books are mostly old ones and I don't think they have magazines. I never asked -- maybe I should do that. I go to the library a lot as I'm an avid reader. I also have to read large print books and quilting books do not come in large print. Libraries are a good source for anything you're wanting to read.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Our library has a ton of quilt related books. Our guild donates money every year for the purchase of new books and videos and the library also sets aside a percentage of their own money to buy more quilt books. We have been told that when we check out books, it triggers information that says that this is an active category and even more $$ goes to buy quilt books. It also doesn't hurt that there are 6 or 7 guild members are employees at the library, including one who is in the purchasing dept.

I like to check out a book and brouse through it first then I can see if it is worth purchasing for my own library.

For one of our guild programs I meaasured the length of shelves that held quilt related books. I calculated if all the books that were on the shelves that day were stacked one on top of the other, it would make a stack 5 stories high!

Is that a great library or what?!!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Yes definitely. That is where I got the Ricky Tims directions for my convergence quilt. (not yet quilted)
Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM

I definitely have my library card. Don't know what I'd do without it!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 AM

Yes, yes, yes! I love the library. I look up what I want on their website, order it up, and just go pick it up. I've done a few interlibrary loans too. Twice a year they have the Friends of the Library sale and charge $1 per inch (measured at the spine) and I usually find at least one quilt book treasure.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 AM

Yes I use the library all the time for quiltling and also for mysteries. There is also inter-library loan which works great of the book I want isn't in their collection. Also check the used section of Amazon.com
Old 06-16-2010, 08:00 AM

You betcha !!! Your local library is a wonderful, wonderful resource & inter-library loans make it possible to get even MORE quilting resources at your fingertips. And the BEST part -- all those ideas are totally FREE. Go for it! I am on the advisory board at our Local Library.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM

I take advantage of my local library. They must have at least 300 quilting books! Right now I have borrowed 5 :)
Originally Posted by craftybear

I am thinking of joining a local library. I was wondering who belongs to a library.

Karen "Craftybear", Indiana, USA
Old 06-16-2010, 08:30 AM

I'm an avid reader and I join every time we move. I have a gray tote bag I fill with books. I've been known to take out quite a few.Reading is my other passion next to quilting.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 AM

I don't, but the main reason is because our library is really small and the books are usually donated and are reallly out of date as to ways to cut, piece, ect. Otherwise, Im sure I would!