Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos? >

Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos?

Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos?

Old 06-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Yes! I learned to quilt 5 years ago by checking and rechecking the quilting books. the OKC Metro Library has a lot of books and magazines also. You can't check out the current magazine but you can any of the others. I wish they acquired more new books but they do pretty good.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:57 PM

I sure do, I love my local library and go at least once a week - always check the quilting section. :D
Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinggrandmaca
I do as well, although the books that our library has are really old one. They don't seem to get any of the newer ones in, maybe not enough demand for them, I don't know.
I work in a public library and we really appreciate patrons letting us know if a certain collection (like quilting) is outdated. Sometimes the staff may not even be aware there is a demand unless someone points it out to us. Be sure to let your library know if a collection is old, and ask if they could they please consider updating it. It's your tax money, and libraries want their patrons to be happy with the selection.

I check out audio books all the time and listen while I quilt. Lots of books get read that way that I normally wouldn't have time for!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by wickn34
I have never heard of joining a library. Here they are free. I belong to the library group. We are free to use available rooms for classes if we wish for group meetings. They ask that we return everything to the way it was.

I was a school librarian, so I think that everyone should avail themselves of the services in the public libraries. There is also a community college here. The public is free to come in and read the books and papers. Not the computers. Too many students and too few computers.

check out you local library.
Have fun,

From Mississippip
I think she means joining a library as in having a library card... so that you can check out books and what not, not paying a monthly charge or anything.

My library has a group that you can join that you pay for, but that money goes right into the library.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM

I just picked a book up today at the library, "Quilty As Charged".
Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Love my library. I can go on line and order books to be sent to my local branch. You should join. I always try to get a book i may want to buy first so i am sure it is worth it.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Google Goddess

if it is a library in your county or town usually not a fee for a library card to check out books
Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 PM

I have checked out books at the library, I didn't think the books would have old ideas since everything is new to me. also every Wednesday there is a group of ladies that meet to sew from 10-1, went once but I have a four year old who cannot sit too long.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Our several local libraries have mostly older books, although they do include rotary cutting. Maybe that's something we could do, will our personal "new style" quilting books to a library when we shuffle off - !!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 PM

Absolutely! I think I've checked out every quilting booking and there were lots when I lived in NW Arizona.