Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos? >

Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos?

Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wickn34
I have never heard of joining a library. Here they are free. I belong to the library group. We are free to use available rooms for classes if we wish for group meetings. They ask that we return everything to the way it was.
check out you local library.
Have fun,
From Mississippip
I think all our libraries are free; at least I hope so. Mine is in Keene, but you do have to "join" which just means getting a card to check anything out. If you do not live in Keene, there is a fee to join; but, you can use the library, browse and read there w/o a card.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 AM

We have library cards and love it! Yesterday we went to the newly remodeled library, and boy oh boy, there's so much more add ons... Like movies and music... and you can checkout yourself (I took out three books.... :) )

The library is a great resource!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 AM

If I talk to the right people, I can donate books to the library for library use and not for their annual book sale. I can also ask the same person to get the books for the library.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 AM

I do, all the time. We also have a Friends of the Library book store where you can buy books and mags dirt cheap. Our ASG has a small library and we have a system of bringing in mags and sharing. They may go to a dozen different members who attend different meetings so get passed around a lot. Since we can copy pages now, it's a cinch to collect patterns. Sometimes to save money, (many of us are are on fixed incomes and retired) one member will buy a current mag and then share with the rest of us. We get a lot of variety that way and a LOT of patterns.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:30 AM

Absolutely! If there is a technique I want to try but I'm not sure I really want to buy a $20 book to learn it, I check my library first. And I have checked out books to "try before I buy", to make sure I'd really use them as much as I think I would.

But I am a library fiend. I have two library cards to different libraries in my area, and I check out stacks of books.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 AM

I've also found that old and out of print books can be interesting and useful, because they show different techniques and patterns than are "trendy" right now.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:10 PM

I'm wondering if i can get a library card from the Elmhurst library... which is located across the street from my college... I don't want to have to go all the way back home just to drop off a book... (Campus is about 30 minutes away from home and I'm staying on campus)
Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM

You Know, It's just one of those things I don't really think about. I will now. And, I do find a lot of wonderful patterns online. Like I need to hunt for more things to make right now! LOL!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 PM

Just picked up 3 quilting books from my Library. Can't wait to really get into them.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 PM

I am a former school librarian and I use the public library ALL the time. I order books from all over the state practically. I have a card for my local area consortium. Another library consortium card and the BPL (Boston). If they don't have what I want (I am also our guild librarianand we just ordered 16 NEW titles)-and no they weren't MY choices--I ask the guild members to make suggestions). I will order from Amazon(usually used to save $) I always have books on hold and love getting the call to pick them up. I am about half a mile away and they joke about how fast my husband picks them up for me!