Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wash a gift quilt before giving?

I do. Mainly because they were mostly baby ones and I have dogs

I always run mine thru a "cold, gentle" rinse to make sure the
    colors are set in. I would hate for someone to love a new quilt then wash it and have it ruined!

I always wash mine. I have cats so they need a good washing.

I wash every time no matter who/what it's for

RST
    Blog Entries
    I always wash. If something is going to happen, I want to know about it before giving it.

RST

I wash also , so I know it holds together well and the color is all good to go. :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    If it's a quilt to be used rather than a wall hanging, I always prewash. If there are going to be issues, I'd rather I had them to deal with than the recipient! And I always give care instructions with the quilt as well.

If it's a quilt I'm not really going to use but have to display, I won't wash it but otherwise, I wash them. If you are giving them as a charity donation, they often require you to wash before donating.

You prewash if you have a German Shepherd who LOVES to get on top of the quilt top when you are in the process of measuring to determine backing needed, etc.! :)

I always wash. That way not only is it clean but I can see if I missed any quilting and missed treads stand up a little better. Yesterday I was ready to bring the quilt to a friend and noticed I missed quiling two blocks. Would have been so embarrassd if I had brought it over to her only to have to take it home and finish it.

As a handquilter I usually have to at least spot clean any quilt I do to remove any markings I may have used for the quilting pattern. For my Linus Quilts I always prewash and iron the fabric before machine quilting. It is not a bad idea to wash a quilt when you are finished creating. It proves if the stitches will hold up and the fabrics are colorfast. You can iron or press your quilt after washing to get back that crisp look.

I don't always wash but thanks to a kind soul on this board I now put Care instructions on the back of each quilt. I have washed several of my own quilts (that I knew had never been washed)and used Shout Color Grabber. Boy, am I sold on that, it really works well.

Even though I don't have any pets, I always wash my quilts before giving them away. I always pre-wash my material but I want to make sure that they won't bleed, or that the stitching will hold up. For me, washing a baby quilt is a must.

Sis
    Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer
    To wash or not to wash is your question but my suggestion is to not store any quilt in a plastic bag especially right out of the dryer. Even though it feels dry some moisture may remain and putting in a plastic bag could cause mildew to ruin it. I would let it lay for a day or two then store in a pillowcase or cloth bag.

Blog Entries
    I always wash...I have too many quilt helpers in the house and I'd be embarrassed by all the hairs I would be giving away :oops:

I do. That way, I can be sure it washes well, so won't worry about it; also, I enclose recommended laundry care instructions with the quilt.

Thank you for the great information. I never thought about the quilt being completely dry.

I always wash and dry all my quilts, make sure they are totally dry and put in a white trash bag, if too large I put into a black trash bag, always new. Some I store until I find someone who needs a quilt.

I wash. Most people I give quilts to have never received a handmade quilt before and I don't want them to think they did something wrong when it comes out wrinkly. Also, I wash to get out all the accidental grunge that collects since I lay them out on the floor to design. :)

I always wash quilts for personal use. My art quilts, I do not wash. If they are for decorative use I may use a variety of fabrics and washing can ruin all your hard work. If an art quilt needs cleaning, I take it to a dry cleaner.

I pre wash and wash the quilt before giving. I think a washed quilt has a nicer look.

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    I always wash. If something is going to happen, I want to know about it before giving it.

RST
    Ditto. I wasn't happy with a SITD on one of my quilts and a friend told me to wash it. That made all the difference in the world to me as far as my quilting was.

I always pre-wash my fabric but not the finished quilt when giving it as a gift.

I always wash, as I can fine tons of extra threads on the quilt and make sure the binding is sewn on good.

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    I wash because I have cats, and I don't want the quilt to have any kitty hairs on it. My babies roam our entire house, so it's entirely probable the quilt will have hairs on it. I wash, dry and put immediately into a plastic bag.
    I also wash because of cat hairs, but mostly because it makes the quilts softer and more snuggly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast