Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Do you wash a gift quilt before giving?

I really appreciate all the input. I do not wash fabrics or finished quilt. Makes me nervous to think of storing quilts in garbage bags white or black. A fiend told me someone in her family mistook it for garbage with bad results. I like to store my quilts rolled and in a pllowcase. When time and funds allow I make a matching pillowcase to give with the quilt.

I never wash before giving I also like the crisp appearance, I do have large dog so I use lint roller before it's gifted.

What are the care instruction? :) I'm new to quilting and curious!
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I rarely wash before giving, except occasionally a baby quilt.
    I do, however, always include care instructions.

I always wash my quilts. I don't have any furry friends but after handling the quilt so much especially if hand quilting I want it to be clean. I also like the wrinkled look.

Banned
    I always wash before giving them for two reasons. One is to give it the vintage look because I usually make all of my quilts on a 100 year old machine. And two I need to get all of the starch out of it!!

Seriously you can almost stand it on end it has so much starch in the fabric. And another good reason is that you can see if it will live to tell about it after washing!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    I was told when you buy fabric you should alway prewash to allow for shrinkage in the material and to wash any excess dyes out of the material.
    Let me know if I am right or wrong.

Don't have pets and no smokers here, so the washing is up to the receiver !

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGramma
    I am thankful that everyone knew what I was asking. A kind board member brought it to my attention that I didn't "proof" my question. I've asked the Admin to correct it for me. Thanks to all for your answers. You truly are all helpful.
    What do you mean "proof" your question?

Quote Originally Posted by pattral
    I was told when you buy fabric you should alway prewash to allow for shrinkage in the material and to wash any excess dyes out of the material.
    Let me know if I am right or wrong.
    I never wash quilt material. BUT, I always purchase good quality from a LQS. It makes a difference is you get your material at a craft store or a store that also carries furniture... If I am spending my time and energy to make a quilt I want good material that will last, even if in years it sells in a garage sale!
    I was told by two different teachers, one that said is wasn't necessary to pre wash and another that said it was. If the material is good quality it doesn't matter. I also like the softness of a post washed quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyoldham
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGramma
    I am thankful that everyone knew what I was asking. A kind board member brought it to my attention that I didn't "proof" my question. I've asked the Admin to correct it for me. Thanks to all for your answers. You truly are all helpful.
    What do you mean "proof" your question?
    That I didn't catch my mistake -- I put "want" instead of "wash" when I typed my question.

I am collecting info about what quilters suggestions are about laundry of already completed gift quilts

I send mine to the cleaners, comes out like brand new, no puckering. Very pleased with them.

Some teachers said that the chemicals were hard on the fabrics. Generally I tell recepients to wash in cool water and do not over dry.

Since my cats like to "help" when I hand quilt I like to wash after finishing a quilt for a gift. I also like to see how they come out after a gentle wash and machine dry. It also fluffs out the batting inside and gives them a more "comfy" look and feel. I also preshrink all of my fabric as soon as I purchase it to prevent surprises as to bleeding or uneven shrinkage after a quilt is done.

Blog Entries
    I love the wrinkly look I get when I wash the quilts. And to remove the starch or basting spray.

I always wash mine - they look soo much better after!! I never seem to machine quilt on the lines so on the lighter fabrics it can look very messy. But after a wash all the pencil lines, not too mention the starch and adhesive are gone and the wrinkly, crinkly look, which I love, makes all my wobbly stitching lines and the odd pucker unnoticeable.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I wash mine for 2 reasons: my cats who are magnets to quilts and I also love the look.

I wash all of mine after completion. I have 2 dogs that shed a lot, plus I want to make sure it does not fall apart. :)

Banned
    I wash mine old cold/gentle then let it airdry hanging. Once it is totally dry I take it to the dry cleaners for pressing only once it is dry (hey they have the big presses!). I love the smooth look, but this last step helps in clipping straggly threads, and making sure the chalk markings are out.

I don't wash, but I do put it in the dryer with a dryer sheet to fluff it up and give it a clean smell. I also have two beagles and their dog fur comes off it in the dryer.

Blog Entries
    lots of great comments, thanks

I wash mine. One time I tought I had done enough quilting and after pulling it out of the drier, noticed a whole section I missed! Could have been a big oops.

I always wash mine so I can see the finished product. Like Julie said, I too usually find more clipping to do or something I forgot to quilt. My quilts have been all over the floor by the time I have finished them. When we had cats, I almost had to fight them to get the quilt out from under them. Now the New Dog waits for a corner to drop and he is on it.

Julie, I notice you are from NM. I am too. Waiting for rain this evening and hope I don't have to water tomorrow. Seems like the rain goes around us all the time. Rest of the state can be floating away and we are still trying to keep plants alive. Oh well, can't complain too much.

3flowers...where in NM? I'm in Rio Rancho...want to PM me?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4