Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do your husbands quilt? - WOULD they? >

Do your husbands quilt? - WOULD they?

Do your husbands quilt? - WOULD they?

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Over the years my husband has sewn several things (vests, tool rolls, wood carriers, banners, cushions and some re-upholstery work) but he has never quilted. Having an art background he certain understands/and embraces my love of fabric. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he began to quilt someday, but currently his passion is tied up with antique decorative paint restoration work on old furniture and he enjoys painting mariner's compasses on boxes, floorcloths, pizza palettes, floors and whatever else he finds unpainted. He also makes airplanes out of old wood planes.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Mine liked to play with my longarm when I had it and has expressed an interest in learning to use the sewing machine. Just haven't taken him up on it yet.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM

No and no. But he understands my need to craft and he is fine with it (and its cost).
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM

I guess I am the lucky one of this whole bunch!! My husband took a dare from another man and made his first quilt 2 years ago. Since then he has made about 15 quilts, including his latest one which was very cute pastel colors card trick blocks with a pieced border of tiny hearts. He made it for our new grandaughter. He particularly likes designing his own sports themed quilts, but he has done all kinds. He's a really good piecer....but that's because I taught him and made him rip out lots of bad seams. He is a wood worker, too, so the idea of cutting up large sheets of any material and making them into a new thing is already embedded in his brain. His knees have gone really bad over the years, so it's too hard for him to stand outside at a work table to do wood now. Maybe after his knee surgeries he will go back to it. For now, we share my sewing room, with 2 sewing machines, his own separate fabric cart, shared cutting table, and we both use the shortarm/frame quilter. We do spend more time together while we sew...and he's a really good critic for me to bounce colors/patterns/ideas off. He gladly shares his/our hobby with anyone who shows any interest...and at 6'2" and 250 lb, I don't think many guys would make fun of him!! :-) He's on this Board as PapaJohn.

Oh yes, he also likes to help out with the quilting classes I give at our church. He likes to give the "hands on" help while I am at the front of the class doing instruction. It's really fun, and the ladies are so charmed that he's there!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 PM

To tell the truth I prefer my husband remain as blissfully ignorant of quilting as possible. He thinks I have about a hundred bucks' worth of fabric sitting in my stash and has no idea I would pay $8 for a pattern or the $$ I have in books and magazines. And frankly, I'd like to keep it that way. :mrgreen:
Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 PM

I think I would be fearful of my husband using a sewing machine. He has thick, big man hands. I can't imagine him sticking those big fingers near and around the needle.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM

Mine doesn't quilt, but being a retired electrician and general handyman around the house, he is sure supportive of my problems with measuring and cutting when they happen. Also, when I first started quilting a couple of years ago he asked for a quilt for his street rod, 1934 Ford. I was amazed at how involved he got with the chosing of the pattern and the fabric. I started bringing home samples for him to approve. It was fun. He has the quilt draped over the back seat of his car.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Love my guy but I don't want him quilting with me or hanging around me while I'm quilting. I couldn't tolerate that.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:53 PM

I wish my boyfriend would. He's very artistic and I can't get him to do much. When my mom and I got the long arm machine he was quilting bugs bunny and really cool looking flames and he never did it at all before. It took my mom and I alot of practice to get where we are. He can just walk up and do it.
I asked him today if he wanted to make his mom a quilt for christmas and he just gave me a look. That means no. We made her a quilt about 3 years ago and it was a lap size and she loved it. I was thinking we could make her a bigger one for her bed.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

My DH doesn't quilt, but will be doing the Longarm work with me! Maybe from there he'll get into the rest of it.