Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do your husbands quilt? - WOULD they? >

Do your husbands quilt? - WOULD they?

Do your husbands quilt? - WOULD they?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:55 PM

My boyfriend is a computer technician, he recently cut all my 60" wide fabric for me down into a smaller size so I could cut it into strips. He also fixed my sewing machine when it was broken. He takes me to my quilting guild meetings. He is not a fan of shopping for fabrics though. He helped me re-upholster all of our cushions in our trailer he even made the awning himself with my sewing machine. lol! He likes when I design my quilts on my computer, he always gives his input. :) I love him very much! I think it would be too expensive for him to take up quilting, he pays a lot of money for hockey each year. We can each have a hobby. :)
Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 PM

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!he doesn't even understand why I quilt! so if yours is supportive or shares your interest, I am jealous.....and yes, I was quilting long before I met him.... oh well.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Mine has made one top all by himslf several years ago. He has a sewing machine and he always looks at the fabric with me. But he is in bad health now so he just cheers me on in my efforts.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM

It sounds like MOST of you have hubbys that are good partners. They are really interested in what you are doing, and maybe a little envious on how you can create such beautiful pieces of art. It wouldn't be surprising that down the road they all will quilt. For the others, let him have his hobby or craft and enjoy YOUR outlet - like they say, opposites attract.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 PM

My husband has never made a quilt, he never said any thing about trying to make one either. But he has sewn. He has made a Robin Hood cap for our sons when they were little, he sews on buttons when they come off his clothes. He did design the Robin Hood hat too. He did a great job.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM

My husband would never quilt as in actually doing the sewing part. He does like to pick out fabric now and then and is very interested and supportive of my quilting. He helps me sandwich larger quilts and has been in charge of "bulk management" when I'm quilting a large quilt on my table-top machine. He also did a whole bunch of research and sat through many demonstrations of sewing/quilting machines before surprising me with a new machine for our 25th wedding anniversary (BTW I absolutely LOVE the machine he picked out!). I am very fortunate and blessed.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Power Poster

My husband has a passion for cooking that matches my passion for sewing.
I shudder to think what chaos there would be if he got into my quilting stuff. He's a scientist and truly a "mad scientist" hahaha
And he has ADD so I would never find anything forever and ever if he got a hold of it.
Glad he's in the kitchen!!! :D
Old 11-06-2010, 12:18 AM

Although he'd never admit it in front of his buddies ;) , my hubby is fascinated by quilting, and has even FMQ'ed a baby quilt on my Juki (Grace frame). He did very well with it, too, considering it was his first time.

He's also fascinated with anything mechanical, and enjoys figuring out how sewing machines work. If something breaks, he can usually fix it. :)

However, he flat refuses to piece any blocks. He'll help choose fabric, he'll even help me cut the pieces, but he will not sew them together. His reason? "I might break the needle." :roll: (He probably wouldn't, and even if he did, it's not like I don't have more! :lol: )

He also takes photos of my quilts with his cell phone, and shows them to the guys he works with. He's such a sweetie. :)

He's definitely a keeper. :thumbup:
Old 11-06-2010, 01:07 AM

No my husband would never quilt but is very supportive in what I do! He has his own hobbies. He is a model railway fanatic and builds wonderful intricate models(He has the whole of the loft space, garage and workshop!!) He is a great photographer! A whizz with computers and very knowledgable on anstronomy so I don.t think he has time to quilt!!! We do lots of things together but love our own space also! I think we have a pretty good relationship! It works for us and we appreciate each others talents! He is definitely a keeper!!
Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 AM

Mine does not quilt, but loves to help me design patterns. He help with our soon to be born grandsons quilt.