Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do your quilts have to match your room?

My family seems to think that when given a quilt that the colors have to match the room it is used in. I see so many different colored quilts on this board. Do they always blend in your rooms?

My quilts are throws for a sofa.

The ones I keep do, usually.

Not at all. Most of the ones I use at home are on beds. When I turn down the bedspread, I love to see a nice pop of color.

Blog Entries
    I think it depends. It can be cheaper and easier to change the paint color. But on the other hand I do 'try' to co-ordinate my quilts to the rest of the decor. But then, IMHO most quilts go with everything . . . but I could be biased. lol

When making one to keep for myself it doesn't always match b/c I like a variety of colors. However, the quilt I am working on for my aunt's christmas gift is being made in colors to match her bedroom (Purple & Sage)

Blog Entries
    The one I'm saving scraps for, the blue crazy quilt I'm gonna make for MY bed will match, more or less, the drapes and carpet. The wall is kinda an off white, may get around to painting that one day if I get time. Well after December, of course.

Blog Entries
    No. Unless someone has purchased their own fabric or asked specifically, I make quilts that I like. I don't usually know what colors people have in their bedrooms anyway.

Good question! I like to know what colors people like if I am making them a quilt. If not, I wing it! LOL I have never had anyone not accept a quilt because it doesn't match.

If I am making something for my bedroom, I pretty much to stick to the colors I like.

I don't think quilts have to match per say in color, but I wouldn't give a country themed quilt, like with chickens or deer on it to somebody that likes contemporary. That would probably clash! LOL

They do not match...I enjoy seeing lots of differnet colors and patterns. My favorites are scrappy quilts, so I guess maybe they do match all the antiques (just old stuff) in my house!!

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    No. Unless someone has purchased their own fabric or asked specifically, I make quilts that I like. I don't usually know what colors people have in their bedrooms anyway.
    My sentiments, too. I just make what I like and give or sell what I chose. I consider a request for a particular color or pattern to be a commission. Afterall, they come to me with the request. I rarely ask anyone beforehand what they want me to make.

Nothing in my house matches! lol

But, if I know somebody wants something to match, I will do my best to accommodate.

When making a quilt for someone else, I try to stick to their tastes and the colour scheme of their home. I do this because I want it to be *used*...and I worry that if it doesn't "match" it will be stuck in a closet instead of thrown on the couch like I intend it to be!

In MY house? ANYTHING GOES! :lol:

Banned
    None of mine do I make em cause I like the colors for a specific design. If someone likes it then they get it. I dont match nothing in any room

Well I have to admit, I am a matchey type of person. So mine at my house do match. But I have seen some of the quilts that I gave away in unmatching rooms but as long as the person in that room loves it, that is all my quilt needs. Just a little love.

Blog Entries
    I'm like the others, I don't have anything that matches in my bedroom. Right now I have a quilt that my MIL made for me and it's mainly blue and white but it has scrappy 9 patches as well. It's a beautiful quilt. That's why my bedroom is still painted white. Everything goes that way.

The ones I keep coordinate, though don't necessarily match. When I make them for others I either focus on their favorite colors or colors they have requested. Anyone that prefers perfect color matching likely won't get a quilt unless they do the shopping. Requests I get are usually general - all blues to go with the babies eyes, or the teen that loves bright green and bright purple.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My color scheme is white & more white. I change my mind so often that if I chose a color scheme with actual color in it, I'd grow weary of it in 6 months or so. This way, I change color scheme by changing the quilts - or just toss the right colored one on top of the others!

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I say change the room to match the colors of the quilt!

Quilt to match my room??????????????? Heck, my quilts may not have two pieces that match!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nope. I make quilts I like then I toss them in the room. That is matchy enough for me.

I keep walls and curtains, either neutral or one block of colour...have lots of wood furniture and pretty plain leather couches...so really anything goes. If anything matches my current quilt (random, brights, very scrappy...grab it out of the bag and stitch it)...well I'll be very surprised. If I make for others, I generally just go with what they would like and avoid patterns or colours they don't care for.

I have painted my bedroom walls ivory color so that they will go will any color that I make my quilts. I personally like to have the quilt in the color skeem that the person I am giving it to will like or match a room so that it will be used. If not know color of rooms then make quilt the persons favorate colors and it will probably match something in the house.It would be a shame to make quilt to have it sit in the closet if the color is not what the person getting the quilt liked. If the quilt is to be multi-colored then I would make the border in the favorate color.

Blog Entries
    The bed quilts I've made for my children match their curtains, pillow shams, bedskirts, etc. Their walls are white, so paint color isn't an issue.
    I made a snippet wall hanging for our bedroom that resembles the flowers at our wedding. I used the same fabrics in there to make a small throw quilt for our room too.
    My other quilts that I've kept are all Christmas ones. They stay out all year in our living room.
    I guess I need to make some that aren't holiday themed. lol
    Ones I make for others I try to figure out their decor and incorporate it. I feel if I don't, it probably will lie in a closet somewhere...
    Though, I made a wall hanging for my dad, and he re-decorated his whole basement, paint, curtains and all to complement the quilt. That told me how much he really loved it.

Like others have mentioned - I have a neutral scheme (walls, curtains, etc) and use the quilt as the color "splash". That way it always co-ordinates :)

I try to make quilts in colors that the recipient likes mostly the GC will tell me what color and often others will tell me a theme. I think all of the quilts I made are on beds and I know a couple of my daughters have used a quilt as a reason to paint thr rooms!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast