Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do your quilts reflect where you live? >

Do your quilts reflect where you live?

Do your quilts reflect where you live?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM

I have changed my colors and themes based on where I live absolutely as the inspiration also changes with the moves. Sedona Arizona in the summer/monsoon or winter? All different with lots of cowboy and artistic earth healing the feel is very different. I now live in the mountains in CA and am amongst the forest trees, deer, wild turkeys and skunks so yes the feel is different here too.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 AM

I plan on doing a Mardi Gras quilt and a New Orleans Saints quilt someday. That would definitely reflect Louisiana. Meanwhile, I keep seeing gorgeous quilts from all over the world influencing what I do. It's so much different now than it was in Grandma's days. She was only influenced by the quilts she saw in her small town and possibly patterns printed in the newspaper in black and white. She would be so overwelmed with all we see now.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 AM

The Rocky Mountains are a big influence on my selection of quilts, but I tend to lean toward the person I'm making the quilt for and that is the determining factor in what fabric choices I make. Designs that are nature related always catch my eye first. So that said I guess where I live does influence my choices.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 AM

not really-I like the soft tones of a foggy blue, sea-foam green and a sunlit gold. Most of my colour for personal use are those but I buy the whole range for my donated quilts.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 AM

I do what I feel I like at the time. I have no set colors or scenes.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:17 AM

I have to say no to this one. I live in the woods and there are a ton of woodsy patterns out there. I don't live in a log cabin and never(I guess I should never say never) will. I don't make quilts with bear, ducks, animal tracks on them. They are great quilts, but just not for me.
I like the bright colors more. When I find a pattern I like, I go for it.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM

No! They are more about who I am.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 AM

No. I live in pine covered mountains in Arizona. I love the ocean and the colors of the sea and lighthouses. That's what I decorate and make quilts with.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 AM

Not so much. I go more for fabric that I really like, either collections or individual and than match it up with others. I live in the south and recently completed tops from Southwestern prints and from Quilt Minnesota 2011 which I love. I must admit though, that I now live in the south, but was raised on a farm in Minnesota. Maybe the nostalgia is why I love that fabric.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 AM
mim

I think that where I live has a lot to do with my color choices. I noticed when I was a snowbird in FL that their color choices were more sunshine light tans, ello greens and in the northwest and New England the color tints are cooler. Maybe the time of year influences us also.

Fabric shops have very different color pallets, too
Mim