Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does any one knows where to buy this type of needle? >

Does any one knows where to buy this type of needle?

Does any one knows where to buy this type of needle?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks Carol please let me know what you find

Originally Posted by Carol J.
In my sewing cabinet I found an old set of upholstery needles, two of them are bent slightly at the end. One is used for repairing upholstery and the other is called a packing needle. Used for sewing the tops of sacks and bags. Made in England and sold for household repairs. Very heavy but I will try them for tying quilts.
There is also a sailmakers needle, sharp on the end but half of it is flat.
I am going to look at Hobby Lobby to see if they have these needles.
I save everything.

Carol J.
:)
Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Seems to me there was another thread recently with a picture of a needle like this. I'll check.

OK, here is a similar one but she say's it is a machine needle. Don't see how.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152388-1.htm
We determined that that needle was actually a machine needle bent by mistake.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I found a card of needles that has the curved needles of different sizes at the Dollar Store, the big yellow sign one. The whole card was $1.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Google Goddess

I hope you find it soon

ote=quiltinghere]
Years ago when you bought a card of or a set of needles, you got this one with it. It is definitely an upholstery needle. A good thing to get used to for tying quilts but I
never had any luck using one. You might find on in the notions and fabric department of any store that sells upholstery or sewing fabrics.

Carol J.
This needle doesn't look 'arched' it looks bent in specific places. Looks straight where her fingers hold the needle then it bends for an inch or so and then it bends again at the tip.
She even calls it a Gaven Easy Tie Needle.
SUGGESTION: Try changing your topic heading to be more specific. ISO: GAVEN easy tie needle for tie quilting.

Good luck - will watch for answers on where to purchase too.[/quote]
Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 AM

I searched the web for the Gaven easy tie needle by clicking on the aprylcallaway name. Got April Callaway selling golf clubs etc. but was offered a site with the other spelling. Looked at some of the links there and the needle is mentioned several times and the video was shown many times. A real mystery but the needle looks to me now like a long darning needle which I use for typing quilts. It is bent to a 45 degree angle and the tip bent just a bit a half inch from the end. I think the video was made to show us how to tie a quilt and not to advertise the needle as much but she shows it clearly just for a moment. It does look like it would work well for the purpose. I will see if my DH can make one. Meanwhile we will all keep looking the needle in the "quilting video" not the haystack.

Carol J.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM

I showed it to DH and he said he would try to make one like that. If the needle is long enough, if it isn't too thick, if it isn't too hard a steel, he thought he would try. I will give him a long darning needle and see what he can do. Right now he went out to pick raspberries so keep in touch, will get back to you when he tries. He is always willing to try something like this. Might not be today.

Carol J.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Check out these needles - some interesting shapes there.

[img]http://img.ecplaza.com/my/huiteneedles/3s.gif[img]
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM

Wow are you going to make Raspberry jam?? yummy:) I am also asking DH to help with remodelling a needle will post soon as i have some thing to show:)

I showed it to DH and he said he would try to make one like that. If the needle is long enough, if it isn't too thick, if it isn't too hard a steel, he thought he would try. I will give him a long darning needle and see what he can do. Right now he went out to pick raspberries so keep in touch, will get back to you when he tries. He is always willing to try something like this. Might not be today.

Carol J.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Ok Ladies DH spent some time remodelling a darning needle into this mystery needle from youtube. he used my kitchen Butane gas torch to soften the needle and to reshape and below are the final result. Maybe your DH can alter the angle to suit your style of sewing:) I have tried mine and found it easy to use :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-260991.jpe   attachment-260992.jpe   attachment-260993.jpe  
Old 09-23-2011, 02:23 AM

These are frequenty included on cards of miscellaneous needles and should be available anywhere they sell needles.