Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anybody do this? >

Does anybody do this?

Does anybody do this?

Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 AM

I do a separate binding. I too enjoy hand stitching the binding on as the final step to making the quilt. Saving time is not important to me as I like to savor the whole process and I'm not concerned with how many quilts I can get done.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:17 AM

I've often used the excess backing as a self binding, machine stitching it on the front side and it works just fine! In fact unless you were a quilter, you would never know. I find by the time this type of binding is starting to wear out, the rest of the quilt is too. This is not the binding that I would use on a special or show quilt but it works really well on those "drag around kid's quilts", college bound quilts or the one on the rec room sofa that the dog loves to have a nap on. As quilters, I think we need a variety of techniques and should pick what works best for each quilt considering the end use of the quilt.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 AM
nls

Use a separate binding, 2.5 inches folded in half befor sewing onto quilt.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 AM

For what it's worth...I like the look of a contrasting binding around my quilts. I also like the process of hand stitching it to the back, kind of a closure to the process. Also, like to do it while watching a favorite movie and not feeling like I am "wasting time" watching a movie.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 AM

me too me too. i always use a separate fabric.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 AM

I've never used excess backing...would need a tutorial on how to do the corners. I kinda like making binding so I've never ventured in the other direction.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 AM

I always use a separate binding. I've learned to miter corners do the "binding thing" with much more ease. Sewing on the binding by machine and then handsewing the binding on the back is a special finishing touch to my quilt. Call me crazy, but I love that part.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 AM

I always add a different binding. Tried turning once and didn't like the look.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
This is not the binding that I would use on a special or show quilt but it works really well on those "drag around kid's quilts", college bound quilts or the one on the rec room sofa that the dog loves to have a nap on. As quilters, I think we need a variety of techniques and should pick what works best for each quilt considering the end use of the quilt.
Good ideas here. The only place I wouldn't use the back for binding would be if it were going to be judged by professional judges. Our local shows are judged by viewers, and she with the largest family and the most friends, wins. LOL

There are many ways to finish off the edges. One is birthing- Sew top and back RST and turn right side out (birth). We used to put the batt in after it was turned. Oh, my! That was not fun.
Some have turned outside edges in after quilting and and hand stitched the edge with an invisible stitch.
And there are many other good ways given here. They all work.

Do what trips your trigger!

Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM

You know what? ANY way is good.
I've got a quilt from the 1940-50's that the backing has been brought to the front as a binding. It's still good! I've done binding just about anyway possible. Not all quilts need to be a "work of art". IMHO

Think the whole idea is to have fun doing what you're doing.