Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have difficulty using Red Snappers to load a quilt on the frame? >

Does anyone else have difficulty using Red Snappers to load a quilt on the frame?

Does anyone else have difficulty using Red Snappers to load a quilt on the frame?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:31 AM

I got the Red Snappers, but had so much trouble using them, just too hard on my hands, plus had the devil of the time trying to get them and the quilt straight on the bars at the same time. Gave up and went back to pinning, I know it takes a little longer to load the stuff, but am much happier.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:44 AM

Try lifting the unfastened end as you are pressing the snapper. I have found this helps too. Hope I made this clear???
Old 10-27-2015, 06:07 AM

Prism99, my Innova came with the red snappers and at 1st I used them in leiu of pinning. Found them to get in the way right at the beginning unless I advanced far enough they would pass my deadbar. So I made up some extra leaders to attach to the original leaders and then back to pinning my backing to them at the back of the frame. Also my leaders were attached by the installer wonky so I drew a line using a magic markers across the original leader so I could attach the new ones straight. Of course I realize now if I planned my quilting just right I could avoid the hitting of the red snappers with the deadbar but sometimes I'm just plain slow in the thinking process. I do still use them to attach the backing to the belly bar though. I even purchased some extras/different sizes too.

As to getting them to go onto the other half, if you bend them backwards a little, that should open the slit in them to go over the part on your leader.........at least that's what I do and I'm in a cold, cold basement. And yes, in time they will loosen up for you as they did for me.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by jcrilley View Post
Try lifting the unfastened end as you are pressing the snapper. I have found this helps too. Hope I made this clear???
This is what I do and I have no problem
Old 10-28-2015, 02:14 AM

At first they are stiff and a little difficult to get on. If you will start in the center of your quilt and snap the left in right in the center then with your right hand bend the snapper up toward the ceiling and then use the heel of your left hand to snap them down it will help. It just takes using them a few times to get them loosened up. Don't give up I think you will like them once you get used to them. They are time savers
Old 10-28-2015, 03:12 AM

I have Leadergrips, not red Snappers, and have no trouble with them. I press them on with the fabric ends and rods against and on top of the metal bars of my frame.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:14 AM

I purchase the Leader Grips before I found the Red Snapper. The only thing I do not like is that was use put the Leader Grips together you cannot take them apart due to the fact that have you heat the connectors so they melt to the poles. Will buy the Red Snapper when I can afford. I use the bar to snap covers on. Love not pinning
Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I use red snappers and found in the beginning when they were tighter but I use the method Renae shows in the video named New Red Snapper Clamps. If you go to the web site www.quiltsonthecorner.com then click on Training, then on Red Snappers. I think it is about the 5th one down on the page. Bending them really helped.
Wow it looks very easy if you do have the strength in your hands!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:41 PM

I stretched mine out by putting them on the frame bars over a full quilt sandwich and leaving them for a few days. It was a battle getting them on but now they are so much easier to put on.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I tried the method Renae shows in her video, but I still couldn't do it. Also tried using the heel of my hand. Guess I am just a weakling!!! I am hopeful that the dowels will loosen them up enough for me to master them. If there were a fingers-crossed emoticon, it would be placed right here.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:41 PM

My husband has to put them on for me. I don't have enough strength in my hands.