Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Else Have This Problem? >

Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM

We did not have that problem so much when fabric was made in the U S. The places that it is now made in has a terrible humidity problem and all fabric has to be stored and shipped with a mildew retardant or everything gets covered with a white powder mildew. When we lived over there we had to hang bags of it in our closets and put little bags of it in out drawers or that is what would grow on everything. The smell is so bad but it has to be done. As soon as we got back to the states and I walked into a fabric shop I knew that smell as soon as I walked in and my eyes and nose started to run.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Several months ago I attended a workshop given by Jamie Wallen. In his quilting studio they were accustomed to ripping fabrics for backing, but several years ago started noticing increasing problems with reactions as described here (congestion, sneezing, eyes watering, etc.). He talked to fabric manufacturers and came up with the following information. Before the economy crashed, the average shelf life of quilting fabric in stores was 3 months; now it's 3 years. Because fabric has to look crisp and new in order to sell, the manufacturers have started adding in a lot of additional chemicals to the finishing process -- Jamie said about 6 times what they used to! When fabric is ripped, all those additional chemicals are dispersed into the air. Nowadays in his studio they all wear masks whenever fabric is being ripped to protect their lungs from the additional chemicals.

A lot depends on an individual's sensitivity to chemicals. It's just that there are so many more chemicals in fabric today, there is a higher chance of reacting to one or more. The issue is most obvious when ripping fabric because so many particles are released into the air. Cutting also causes release chemicals, although probably considerably less than ripping. The OP may have just enough sensitivity to one or more of the chemicals to react when fabric is cut, but not so much sensitivity that subsequent touching and sewing causes a reaction.

I am lucky in that most of my stash is older fabric as I am not a pre-washer. If I noticed any sensitivities or reactions in myself, though, I would definitely start pre-washing fabric.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:35 PM

Pick up a small bottle of "nasal saline" at the nearest pharmacy store. Usually costs just a couple dollars. It helps to spray each nostril with your head tipped forward. Then you can gently blow your nose to clear it. Happens to me anytime I stir up dust while dusting, or while cutting fabric. I tried a dust mask and it drove ne crazy trying to adjust to it. Pharmacist was who told me about it. Best of all, no drugs.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Power Poster

If I had those problems I would quit quilting.
I am glad I don't because I have much too much fabrics for that.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 PM

Precuts are fun, but difficult to prewash.

I get a bloody nose working with them.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions and information y'all!! Madamekelly, thanks for the nasal spray suggestion! I'll have to try that. I've tried sucking on a piece of hard candy while cutting, and that seems to help with the coughing a bit, but I was still sneezing.

I've also tried the dust mask before while sanding down furniture to refinish, but for one thing, I feel like I'm suffocating! Another problem I have with it is that no matter how I try to adjust it, my breath will sneak out of the top and steam up my glasses! It's kinda hard to cut fabric looking through a thick fog! LOL!

Donna
Old 01-03-2016, 05:10 AM

Donna, I wear glasses too, but if you get a mask with a metal strip across nose, you can pinch to fit. Home Depot or Lowes has these. Helps with fog.
We had a lady in our town that had worked in a fabric store for years, over 10, that developed lung disease. When they did her bronical lavage they found fabric fibers. She was assigned the job of tearing fabric at check out. The shop now has a small fan that pulls fibers away from from the person tearing. The other shop will not allow there workers to tear.
As a child I had a similar reaction in fabric stores of watery/burning eyes. Now, I often use the Neti Pot to rinse nose after working in my sewing room or dusting, amazing what we breath.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:41 AM

That has happened to me a couple of times, especially with material that has not been washed . It does not with all material. Must be some chemical, I start coughin or get teary eyed.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:35 AM

Fabric comes with a finishing product on it that can irritate. I have what you describe, plus my nose & eyes actually itch. The easiest way is to wash the fabric before you cut it. However then, you may need to add more of a starch product that you can tolerate so the bias cuts don't stretch.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 AM

Crafty pat...where is THERE...just curious