Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Else Think Like Me >

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 AM

I made a quilt for my son and hung it on the wall in the living room. When he came for a visit I asked what the though of the quilt and he did not care for it. Just goes to show peoples taste changes.
Now I quilt for myself. Every other year I photograph all of the items that I have made that I want to give away. I then put it on a CD along with a list of people and addresses that will get to choose a gift. The first person on the list choses theirs and then send the CD and list to the next person on the list. This way they can choose what they want. All of the quilted items that I have given away are in a file for the person that got them. This also gives me a better idea of their likes and I can add item for them that will go with the item they picked.
My oldest daughter let me know that she really likes picking her gift rather than wondering what she will get.
If anyone wants more details on how this works just email me at [email protected]
Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 AM

I quilt for myself and the things that I want to make. As for giving away. I photo all of the items that I am ready to give away and send the CD and a list of receipents to the first person on the list. They are asked to choose the item that they want and put it beside their name on the list. Then they send the CD and the list to the next person and so on until both the CD and the list return to me. I keep a file of the itmes that each person has choses and the year. This will help me decide what I could make to go with the item they chose. My daughter told me that she really like choosing rather than hoping for the one she likes best. I can try new things that if I do not have a place in my home for them can find a home that will love them. I to make a lot of quilts for the Quilts of Valor and our solders.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM

How ungrateful.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:30 PM

One of my quilting friends made two baby quilts for her greatgrand babies. She was upset when she got the Thank You card and it said Thank You for the "Blanket" . Sounds silly but gosh when ya do all the work and quilt it it would be nice to be thanked for the lovey quilt you made. lol
Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jigsymom
One of my quilting friends made two baby quilts for her greatgrand babies. She was upset when she got the Thank You card and it said Thank You for the "Blanket" . Sounds silly but gosh when ya do all the work and quilt it it would be nice to be thanked for the lovey quilt you made. lol
Well, in this case maybe the person does not know the difference in the names. I really do not think I would get upset over terminology. To some people they are all the same.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM

It seems to me that folks who do crafts or have some sort of idea of labor involved are more appreciative, at least I think so. Some people just do not care for quilts, period. I only make them for my family, but I do clear the pattern and colors with them first. In the case of grandchildren, I pick a color and theme that fits them and work with that so it is a surprise for them, but I clear it with mom first to be sure. Before I started quilting, I really had no appreciation for them but once I started, I have a healthy respect for those folks who do fantastic quilts. I guess it is all a matter of awareness and appreciation on the part of the recipient.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Well I am not sure I will ever get this one quilt top done. Moving mighty slow on it due too health but I cannot believe that so many have had such rudeness when they have given a person a quilt or anything. I got a lap quilt from a lady in Canada and I love that quilt. We are both red hatters and the colors were perfect but you know what, I would not worry about colors of anything that I get. I am just always thankful for anything that anyone sends too me. I guess I won't have too watch my quilt/quilts not appreciated cause I am too dogged slow too get one done. I have spent hours on just the top and it really is not that big.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 PM

I have done a quilt for each of the kids in their wedding colors. Now my (step) DIL wants: Queen Size, Southwest Pattern, Turquoise, Pink, Purple and black, please make it drape like a bedspread, and can we have it by the time we move into our new home at Christmas time.

Nope, don't think so
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by PatinAtlanta
What is sad to me is that people don't write thank you notes any more. I think EVERYONE should, don't you? I don't understand what happened to manners.

If I make something quilted as a gift, I usually do a table runner or a small wallhanging that has a Holiday theme, like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Who knows what they might like tomorrow decor-wise, but most people like to have something for the holidays.

Pat
Even an email to say thank you and I got the quilt, would be acceptable to me. But to say nothing at all??? That's just plain rude!!
:x
Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM

I make quilts and give them to the chruch to give out as needed. I don't think about who should get what only that God has given me the privilege of having the ability and resources to give to someone who can't give back. And in most cases they don't even know who made it. You know, I am blessed in so many ways because of this. Just let your heart be your quide.
When I do give a quilt to a friend, family member etc, I make it very personnal by adding their picutre into the quilt, sometimes on the back and other times on the front. With the picture their name and some other info that they would be proud to display it usually gets taken care of.
I do this with baby quilts...I get the first picture taken (usually at the hospital) and the info of their birth. With family members I do the same picture and info business and place it on the back in the upper left corner then I update their quilt each birthday by adding that year's picture next to the first. The back becomes a short story of the child through out the years.

Star quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95869[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95864.jpe