Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Else Think Like Me >

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 PM

I made my first quilt at age 65 for my first granddaughter, who is going on 15 and still has that quilt in her room, VERY used and appreciated. Its design was pretty good, but I'd make a nicer one now and did for the next two, now 5 and 10, whose quilts are reaching the same stage as the first one - very loved. They enjoy using the sewing machines I gave them and they can go on from where I left off. Kids can be great.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Gratefully the quilts that I've made for my grandkids and daughters have been greatly appreciated and they want more whenever I would like to make them.

For the adult daughters, I do ask what colors they would like and even show them photos of quilt patterns to see what their choices would be.

I had lots of Christmas blocks from a quilt xmas block swap and let my 3 grand kids pick which blocks they would like in their quilt and let them arrange the blocks on the floor (b4 I had a design wall) ... they loved getting to choose the blocks and the placement. They LOVE their Christmas quilts. My grandson who was 9 at the time even helped sew his blocks in rows, he was jazzed about that.

Now I have bunches of Halloween blocks and will do the same thing, but for next Halloween, not enough time this year. I now have 5 grandkids, ages 3, 4, 7, 7, 11 and have enough blocks to make a quilt for each of them.

I wouldn't make a quilt for someone without knowing if they really want it and would appreciate it. Too many charities to donate a quilt to, and not have to think about it getting damaged or disrespected.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 10-24-2010, 08:06 PM

I am currently making a quilt for our 21 year old GD. She lives in Illinois so it gets really cold there. She saw the quilt in my Keepsake Quilting catalogue and picked it out. I am backing it with flannel so it will be warm. It started out to be queen size but she got a kingsize bed and now I am adding borders to make it bigger. The cost of the fabric and backing is now close to $300. That is not including my time or to have it quilted. My dh is paying for it . I certainly hope she doesn't mistreat it. The good thing is that she is in Ill. and I am in Calif. and probably won't know.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM

People don't know how much money and time go into a quilt and love!

I had to sort of laugh at myself when I started reading this. I have been busy cutting fabric to make a quilt as you go quilt for a Christmas gift. My young grandson was engaged to a girl that just has a baby. Thought at Christmas I would give her for the baby a crib quilt. But when I was buying fabric in the back of my mind told me to get enough fabric to make a lap size. Well I did and I just found out that the wedding is off. Sad for my grandson but glad I can now enlarge the quilt to lapsize and it will stay in the family... just someone else will enjoy it.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM

Whenever I decide to make a quilt for a friend I generally work in the "what are your favorite colors?" into a conversation...or casually note the colors in their living/family room. Somehow, with each one I have given, it has blended with their decor. Another thing to consider might be something they really love...angels, stars, dogs, cats, etc.
Maybe they've just been polite, but have never seen it on the garage floor or lining the liter boxes. Just lucky I guess.

The one thing that would be a turn off is when someone constantly asks "Are you making that for me?" with every quilt they see me making. After several times, it stops being funny and becomes a turn off to me. Begging doesn't work with me.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 AM

Single bed quilts comprise most of my give aways. I spend just as much time and attention to detail as I do with the special gift quilts. The receivers are usually the graduating seniors in our county 4-H program, occasionally someone who earns special consideration by their deeds. The quilts are built around the favorite colors and hobbies of the students. (Pink horses galloping into a pink/orange sunset for the teen leader of the horse club, who drives a pink pick-up truck; rabbits with a tie-dye accents for the rabbit queen; a kaleidoscope from fabric selected by the "all seeing" teen leader, etc.) They haul them to our 4-H overnights and camp sessions where they are the talk of the cabins. One girl confessed that she wants to stay in 4-H just so she can get one of my quilts. Hey - if that works to keep them involved, my labor of love serves an extra purpose.

I've set up a little sewing clinic in my home to teach the kids to make their own. We'll be starting with place mats and table runners next month.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 AM

What a forward thinking quilter you are. Getting the 4-H'ers involved and learning to quilt is a great idea. It probably be the start of a special lifetime hobby for some of them. I love the way you decided what quilt to give to each one of them.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:53 AM

I made a crocheted blanket for my first great grand child. The mother's comment when she opened the present was, "I can put this with the PILE of others that he has." There was no thank you or other comment. That is probably the only great grand child that will get anything hand made. And that's a shame!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 AM

What is sad to me is that people don't write thank you notes any more. I think EVERYONE should, don't you? I don't understand what happened to manners.

If I make something quilted as a gift, I usually do a table runner or a small wallhanging that has a Holiday theme, like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Who knows what they might like tomorrow decor-wise, but most people like to have something for the holidays.

Pat
Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 AM
nab

I agree no more anything for them. I have not so far had this problem. I do make my quilts to be used. I am guilty of not using one of my quilts because it is too heavy, but I have made many lap quilts that are meant to be used. I also have many quilt tops that need to be quilted. I have given my nieces some of my quilts and they seem to really enjoy and charish them. My sisters do not quilt so they are always wanting them. I have one quilt that my sister Nancy started before she died of ovaian cancer. Our oldest sister got it when she died and has asked me to finish it for her. She has also made a couple of the blocks and I am trying to get our youngest sister to make a block (with my help) so it can be made by all four of us as a "sisters quilt". We have been working on it for four years now, so I really want to finish it. I get sad when I work on it because I miss her so much. But, back to the subject. We do need to give to those who appreciate and will use our quilts. I'm not worried about the cost as I am about the love. One little thank you can mean so much.