Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone know >

Does anyone know

Does anyone know

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Does anyone know

Just bought new machine (Juki 600) I want to try out. Of course I had to choose a scrappy quilt patern. Here I am in our RV (snowbirding) in Yuma fr the winter and of course no scraps, Bought several FQ & sevral whites. Six blocks later and they are beginnng o all look the same. Does anyone know how little fabric Walmart will cut ( how many inches by wof ). Just looked on Ebay they want 10.50 for 100 2.5 inch squares.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 PM

I've asked for 1.8th of a yard and had no problem getting it cut. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Do you stay in Yuma the whole time? If you ever come up to mesa, you can go through my scraps and stash.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 AM

Our Walmart will cut as much or as little as you need. Hancock Fabrics does the same. The only place I have ever had to buy a minimum is Hobby Lobby. The store here requires you to buy at least an eighth of a yard.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 AM

There used to be some great quilting groups down in Yuma. I bet if you meet up with some of them you could get a lot of scraps. Heck my stash was started by quilting friends up in Phoenix. Now it is my time to be giving to other newbies.

I spent a winter there working for the Az resort system, my euphemistic name for it, and met a lot of really nice quilters. I even made a quilt in my hoter room after work. I'd stop for a light dinner, then stop off at the bar and get 2 [free] hot cranberry juices to take to my room, then quilt away.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I've asked for 1.8th of a yard and had no problem getting it cut. Good luck!
Thanks, this is helpful. Now if I can just find an employee there to actually cut fabric for me. Last time I was there 3 customers were waiting (one said 15 min.) for someone to cut fabric.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Thank you for your generous offer. Alas just too far away for me.
Originally Posted by Stiffchick View Post
Do you stay in Yuma the whole time? If you ever come up to mesa, you can go through my scraps and stash.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 AM

Just ask, I'll send you some, probably a dozen other QB members would also.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I run into that down here trying to find someone to cut fabric for me. I don't have enough patience so I go to the next employee or even the store manager. I told a manager once. I'll cut the fabric if you want to run the little pricing machine. Next thing I knew there were 3 employees. Ready to cut. I gave them dirty looks and then asked why they didn't want to cut when I asked for help earlier. Then the manager gave them dirty looks. Because of the wait we all got discounts.
Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. Now if I can just find an employee there to actually cut fabric for me. Last time I was there 3 customers were waiting (one said 15 min.) for someone to cut fabric.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I was told at our local walmart, the ones cutting fabrics get less pay. Here the electronic employees cut fabric and make a more generous cut.
I think the managers didn't want the fabrics back and can then tell headquarters they aren't selling much. Hoping it will be taken out. Wish I knew how to contact them and tell them why it isn't selling very well. There was a week ago a couple of workers and about three customers picking out fabrics. I turned around and the workers were gone.
They are again down sizing fabric dept. Best thing is to keep standing there and try to catch a worker to call for help.