Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone own a Husqvarna? >

Does anyone own a Husqvarna?

Does anyone own a Husqvarna?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM

I have a viking iris. It is an older model, but does embroidery. My DH bought it refurbished maybe 5 years ago, but still works very well. I have had no problems with it!
My only problem with it... i can't do any embroidery any bigger than 4x4. My next machine will have at least 5x7 capability.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM

I have a Viking Designer 1 and really like it for both sewing and embroidery. I have had it since 2003 and it was a floor model. It has seen many hours of use. I also have a Husky C10 that I like. It is a sweet little machine.

If I were in the market for another machine, I would like the Bernina 820 with the wide throat space. Both dealers are more than an hour from me.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM

I just saw the Bernina 820... and then the price. Wow! I do like that big throat though. I have a brother 6000i also and it has a very narrow throat. I have a hard time quilting b/c I can't fit a quilt any bigger than 60x60 in my machine. I have a hard time with smaller quilts too.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 AM

"You know I called a Bernina dealer and spoke with someone that really couldn't give me any info. She kept asking someone else for answers, but the one that had the answers I guess didn't feel it was important enough to come to the phone. Won't be buying a Bernina!!! Can't expect very good service from there!!"

Sewcrafty

Maybe there was a reason that person could not come to the phone. Maybe the one you were talking to was a recently new employee and was getting experience. Have to start somewhere. It does take a while to learn. Think of how many different machines a dealer sells or even how many different brands. I worked for a dealer and believe me, NO ONE knows everything. Even managers. And lots of places hire people who have no sewing or machine experience. Their reasoning is that they can teach anyone to sell machines. There usually is a script for each machine which covers the basic stitches and features and a few speciality stitches. Where the sewing experience comes in handy is for class instructions. But, even there it is not necessary to be able to sew.

As far as service from the dealer, doesn't Bernina have a repair person on site? The Viking Gallery dealer I use sends the machines to Ohio. I knew a lot about the machines Viking sold, but that computer cash register was a different story. A few times I had to call the manager at home to make a sale. Just something different about the purchase that was not in the manual.

Just a thought from someone who has been on the other side.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MelissaK
I just saw the Bernina 820... and then the price. Wow! I do like that big throat though. I have a brother 6000i also and it has a very narrow throat. I have a hard time quilting b/c I can't fit a quilt any bigger than 60x60 in my machine. I have a hard time with smaller quilts too.
The two features I like are the large throat space and the stitch regulator. I like to do free motion and thread painting and those features would be perfect. I have done a king size on my D1. Can I say HARD?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
"You know I called a Bernina dealer and spoke with someone that really couldn't give me any info. She kept asking someone else for answers, but the one that had the answers I guess didn't feel it was important enough to come to the phone. Won't be buying a Bernina!!! Can't expect very good service from there!!"

Sewcrafty

Maybe there was a reason that person could not come to the phone. Maybe the one you were talking to was a recently new employee and was getting experience. Have to start somewhere. It does take a while to learn. Think of how many different machines a dealer sells or even how many different brands. I worked for a dealer and believe me, NO ONE knows everything. Even managers. And lots of places hire people who have no sewing or machine experience. Their reasoning is that they can teach anyone to sell machines. There usually is a script for each machine which covers the basic stitches and features and a few speciality stitches. Where the sewing experience comes in handy is for class instructions. But, even there it is not necessary to be able to sew.

As far as service from the dealer, doesn't Bernina have a repair person on site? The Viking Gallery dealer I use sends the machines to Ohio. I knew a lot about the machines Viking sold, but that computer cash register was a different story. A few times I had to call the manager at home to make a sale. Just something different about the purchase that was not in the manual.

Just a thought from someone who has been on the other side.
Any other dealer that I've spoken with, Janome, Brother & Husqvarna all took the time to answer any questions. I know the Janome and Husqvarna had repair sites there. Didn't that info from the Bernina dealer and forgot to ask Brother also.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 PM

I have the Sapphire 830 and love it. Very good machine but does not embroidery.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 PM

I have both a Husqvarna Viking 150E (21 years old) and a Bernina Virtuosa 153 QE (9 years old). I love them both, use them both, and have no need or desire to upgrade to anything else.

A reliable, and honest, dealer makes a big difference and is worth going out of your way to find, even if it's not the closest one. That said, don't buy a machine you are just "settling" on simply because you like the dealer best. You'll be using the machine a whole lot more than you'll be using the dealer!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM

I have a Sapphire 875 Quilt.. it is a DREAM.. all my other machines had been walmart machines.. this is nooooo walmart machine. IT IS HEAVENLY!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 PM

I LOVE my Viking, Designer 1!! It's soo wonderful!! The stitches are great, it runs smooth, and reliable. It's one of the best investments that I have ever made. :thumbup: I also have the Viking Husky Lock searger, talk about a time saver when you do clothing! They stand behind their products, give lots of instructions, their web site is great. They also give free updates your computer. You can down load them directly to your sewing machine.