Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone recognize this Block - With Pic This time >

Does anyone recognize this Block - With Pic This time

Does anyone recognize this Block - With Pic This time

Old 09-03-2022, 07:54 AM

Default Does anyone recognize this Block - With Pic This time

I picked up some material at a 2nd hand store. Someone had started a Christmas quilt. About 1/2 of the blocks are already sewn and I will try to sew the other ones as the pieces are all cut out. I am very new to quilting and wondering if anyone recognizes this block pattern and knows how the placement goes? There 18 blocks. 9 the way of the picture and 9 the same thing but the blocks mirrored or reversed.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails qblock.jpg  
Old 09-03-2022, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

It looks like crazy quilt block style to me.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:14 AM

well found this so far-https://www.abebooks.com/101-Crazy-Quilt-Blocks-Causee-Linda/31179925426/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade0to10-_-product_id=COM9781590120125USED-_-keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9N25s4_5-QIVbhZMCh1tZwbsEAQYAiABEgIzGfD_BwE
well the link didn't work but yes, crazy quilt fits well. Still, could have another name
Old 09-03-2022, 09:40 AM

Quiltwoman, you did great finding that book. A little help for you or others that can't seem to make the computer do what they want it to.
To make a clickable link - Copy the link, hit enter or paste to insert it in the message, then space over 1 time. The link won't be clickable until you do the space over. Now, let's see if it works.

https://www.abebooks.com/101-Crazy-Q...iABEgIzGfD_BwE
Old 09-03-2022, 09:42 AM

I'd agree that it's a crazy quilt block. Many of these don't actually have patterns, you just get to sewing until it's the correct size.
However there are a few template sets out there if you want to the blocks the same pieces but different colors/fabrics. The thing about those, you can layer your fabric. You could pick out ten fabrics (since this has 10 pieces) , layer them and cut one of each piece of the template of each color, and do one right side and one wrong side up. Then you can mix and match sewing them together to get 20 blocks without much cutting effort If that is what was done, there really isn't any planned layout, you just arrange them random, or whatever you like.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:16 AM

that's odd. space over. not sure i do that but only had trouble this time. will remember that.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:24 PM

It kind of reminds me of the magic tile blocks except there is no 'grout' between pieces. Are the exact same fabrics in the exact same places in the 9 blocks that are already made? If they are not, then it is definitely closer to the magic tile block.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:03 PM

Are you saying that there are pieces cut to make another 18 blocks per your post at Anyone Recognize this Quilt Block? ?
I agree it looks like a crazy quilt, with a few of the pieces sewn together and then added as one.
This would be an excellent time to have a 'design wall' so that you could play with the placement, since half are mirror images.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-03-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:28 PM

Just for fun, I did a few layouts to show how it would look with the parts rotated or flipped with mirror images of the pattern blocks. The tops (two rows section) is just mirror images divided down the middle and and the bottom ones are with alternating mirrored blocks.

play-crazy.jpg play-crazy2.jpg
OOOPps, I just realized when I did the alternating one the last two are going the wrong direction.
try again - not the greatest, but you get the general idea.
play-crazy3.jpg play-crazy4.jpg

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-03-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:17 AM

Looks like you can get a great Xmas quilt out of those blocks following one of the above layouts.