Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember?

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I remember them in many stores that sold fabric (I am old enough to remember when Sears sold fabric, lol!)
    and JC Penneys, and Woolworths, and Ben Franklin's and, and,....lol

the Singer stores had nice fabric in the 60's...and classes to teach the teens to sew in the summer.
    Last edited by Tink's Mom; 07-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaJ View Post
    Years ago, when I first started sewing, the JoAnn's store in town was in a small strip mall. I remember when I would bring the fabric to the cutting table, they had a machine that they would run the fabric edge thru to measure the amount to be purchased, instead of measuring it against a ruler on the cutting table. Does anyone remember these machines? Or what they were called? And why they stopped using them?? Just wondering......
    I remember them from a ways back. I'd think fabric would stretch too much----------specially those that are stretchy. Never heard a name.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Ahhhhh, memories! Yes, I remember those cool cutting machines! Also remember having to put on a dress, to ride the bus into town, with my mom. That was in New Orleans and all of the "big stores" were on Canal St.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by molly oldham View Post
    I think in Nashville, JoAnn's was called Cloth World or maybe JoAnn's bought them out. And yes I too remember the "machine". Isn't it funny how we forget about things we haven't seen for a while?

We used to have a Cloth World. Not too long ago, I pulled some fabric from my stash (inherited from many sources) that had a Cloth World tag on it. I just assumed they went under, nothing more.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Cloth World was an acquisition of parent company of JoAnn's. This was of the time of conglomerates swiping up all the competitors in an area. In Kansas City there was also Sew-Fro fabric stores .... I soooo wanted to work there but landed in fabric dept. of Montgomery Wards instead! I miss all those old stores ..... and old times with lots of tradition.

Blog Entries
    I saw one of those in the Joann's store just the other day, but they weren't using it. They were laying the fabric out and cutting with scissors. Perhaps they use the measuregraph for larger quantities?
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    I remember them too. I also thought the clerk did something so the device would make a nick/cut in the fabric at 'the right spot.

Perman's also had some sort of cable device with a container that would swoop somewhere with your money and swoop back with your change.

that makes perfect sense.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

The JoAnn's in Murfreesboro still has one for the big rolls of home decor or special order. I bought some laminate and she used it to measure.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Blog Entries
    I was just thinking about them last week, wondering what they were called. Thanks for the memory. Also, when they clipped the edge with the machine, I remembering them tearing the fabric, rather than cutting it.

Well, I think it would be wonderfu if they would bring those machines back - We would probably have more accurate measuring done which would be a treat, especially at Joanns

I remember those!! Our local Jo-Ann's used to be Cloth World and Sew-Fro Fabrics. Thrifty's Five and Dime used to have fabric in So Cal.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    Used one when I worked at Sew-Fro fabrics back in the early 70's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    They still use them in some stores in this area ... but only in the upholstery dept.
    If staff are available, one person rolls it thru at the start, while the other rolls it onto the new roll.

Or if you're wanting a whole bolt of quilting cotton, they will send you to that machine.

Folded fabrics do not run as smoothly as the flat upholstery, sometimes jamming. So I would suspect that might be the reason they are not on the regular cutting tables.
    They still use it in my JoAnn's in the Home Dec department.
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    Yes, it was back in the 60s. I worked at a local dollar store that sold fabric and when the polyester came out the customers made us use a yard stick due to the fabric streatching so bad and they were being cheated on the yardage they were paying for. The machine worked fine on cotton but not the fabric that streatched.
    MaryB

Blog Entries
    I forgot but I now remember them too.......but didn't hey put a cut into the fabric so it could be ripped? calla

So, I am not the only person feeling old remembering this. Those were the days, and they ripped the fabric after going through the machine. I used to go shopping with my mom for fabric when I was a little girl, a bus trip, lunch at the diner downtown and shopping every Wednesday, until I started school.

When I was at Joanns yesterday, I asked the clerk why they don't get to use electric sissors to cut the fabric instead of regular sissors, she said it was an OSHA thing. It just looks so ackward to watch them cut fabric, and they do not give you any extra, inventory control.
    But thanks for the memories.

Blog Entries
    I used one when I worked for T G & Y in the fabric dept. If you did not put the fabric in just right, or if you tugged on the double knits too much, you did not get an accurate measurement.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I too remember those measuring things, I remember when all department stores carried fabric. I was only sewing clothes for the most part then. I also remember the cotton those days were almost impossible to iron the wrinkles out. I loved the new wash and wear fabric I could buy and clothes. All cotton clothes got phased out quickly.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    I used one when I worked for T G & Y in the fabric dept. If you did not put the fabric in just right, or if you tugged on the double knits too much, you did not get an accurate measurement.
    Oh my gosh. I remember T G & Y. I bought purple material for a shift in Home Ec. I had to rip that zipper out four times before my teacher passed it. No wonder I hate zippers.

I remember them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Wonder why they stopped using them too..
    I worked at So-Fro and we had those machines. In the 70's they didn't measure the knit fabric accurately as it stretched going through the "wheels". We had to measure by the metal tape in the counter.

piney

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Used one when I worked at Sew-Fro fabrics back in the early 70's.
    Me too, in Mass.

I sure remember those machines. And, I remember when Penney's had fabric. In fact, I purchased the fabric (lace over satin, full length) for my wedding dress at Penney's on my lunch hour, at a grand cost of $23. Those were the days! (what days I'm not really sure! LOL).

Jeanette Frantz

I remember those! made a little cut then the fabric was torn!! those were also the days when the clerk had to get the patterns for you too. you didn't dare help yourself!

I learned to sew very young. My mom would let me sit at the counter and look thru the pattern books. I was occasionally allowed to pick out a pattern for a school dress. i remember some clerks were not too happy to have to get a pattern for a little girl. If they ignored me long enough I would get down and go behind the counter to get my own. That did not make them happy either!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast