Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone remember? >

Does anyone remember?

Does anyone remember?

Old 07-07-2012, 06:13 AM

I also remember them. My Mother worked in a dry good store that use them and I got to try one one time. Boy, brings back lots of good memories. Love ready this board. Makes me remember lots of things that are foggy in the memory bank. LOL.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I remember that gadget from our "material store" on the main drag in our town. I still have the apron I made in the 6th grade from the "material" the ladies helped me pick out. That was about 55 years ago!! I remember that most of the "material" was behind the counter and you pointed to what you thought you wanted and the ladies brought it down and then a discussion ensued. Boy, were things different!!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:43 AM

When they had the fabric at the right spot, they would push down a handle to cut a starting spot for the clerk to cut the fabric!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 AM

I remember using that machine when I worked Montgomery Ward's fabric department. There were lots of comments about shorting fabric if an inexperienced clerk pulled the fabric tightly as it was measured ... and we couldn't use the machine on much of the polyester fabric. Those were the days!!! LOL

It's amazing what is discussed on this board ... love it! brings back oldddddd memories!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

The discussion of fabric in department stores really brings me back, and fabric stores being downtown. Amluxen's had the best collection of wool, right on the mall, down from YQR. And department stores also had books, and chocolate, and records, and restaurants to stop and get coffee and pie or coke and fries after a long day's shopping. The flip side--you had to dress up to go to Dayton's or Marshall Fields, unless you didn't want to go with my mother.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I remember them in many stores that sold fabric (I am old enough to remember when Sears sold fabric, lol!)
and JC Penneys, and Woolworths, and Ben Franklin's and, and,....lol

the Singer stores had nice fabric in the 60's...and classes to teach the teens to sew in the summer.

Last edited by Tink's Mom; 07-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaJ View Post
Years ago, when I first started sewing, the JoAnn's store in town was in a small strip mall. I remember when I would bring the fabric to the cutting table, they had a machine that they would run the fabric edge thru to measure the amount to be purchased, instead of measuring it against a ruler on the cutting table. Does anyone remember these machines? Or what they were called? And why they stopped using them?? Just wondering......
I remember them from a ways back. I'd think fabric would stretch too much----------specially those that are stretchy. Never heard a name.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Ahhhhh, memories! Yes, I remember those cool cutting machines! Also remember having to put on a dress, to ride the bus into town, with my mom. That was in New Orleans and all of the "big stores" were on Canal St.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by molly oldham View Post
I think in Nashville, JoAnn's was called Cloth World or maybe JoAnn's bought them out. And yes I too remember the "machine". Isn't it funny how we forget about things we haven't seen for a while?

We used to have a Cloth World. Not too long ago, I pulled some fabric from my stash (inherited from many sources) that had a Cloth World tag on it. I just assumed they went under, nothing more.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 AM

Cloth World was an acquisition of parent company of JoAnn's. This was of the time of conglomerates swiping up all the competitors in an area. In Kansas City there was also Sew-Fro fabric stores .... I soooo wanted to work there but landed in fabric dept. of Montgomery Wards instead! I miss all those old stores ..... and old times with lots of tradition.