Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember?

I remember the machine, too...after they tugged and pulled the fabric through, wasn't there a handle or something they pushed to put the first cut in ithe fabric? Maybe I'm thinkin' of some other machine????

I'd forgotten all about them. The ones I remember they pushed a lever that made a sort cut then they finished by ripping it.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I remember these well, hmm making me feel quite old
    Amythyst

I remember these machines also in our small town. They stopped using them when we started to use knit fabric. When they ran the fabric thru it would strecth and you didn't get the correct amount of fabric. With color it would make cutting our fabric faster but then again it probably would be cut wrong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I remember them in many stores that sold fabric (I am old enough to remember when Sears sold fabric, lol!)
    ROFL - I think I may have some of that fabric!!!

Yes - I remember those machines. Did they cut or rip the fabric after taking the little nip in it?
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I remember! Our Joanns has one for upholstery fabric. It would cut a little slice where they were to start cutting.

They are still used in warehouses to count off the metres before sending the fabric to the retailers.

Blog Entries
    I to remember the machine when wards and penny's sold fabric they measured it msde a small cut and ripped the fabrix we also ripped the abric in home ec to straighten it now they cringe at the idea I think it all happened when polyester came out as it won't rip and cotton does sometimes I still straighten my fabric that way

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emlee51 View Post
    I remember the machine, too...after they tugged and pulled the fabric through, wasn't there a handle or something they pushed to put the first cut in ithe fabric? Maybe I'm thinkin' of some other machine????
    Oh my gosh! Yes! There was a machine like that!!! I'd forgotten that totally!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
    Oh yes! I remember those machines. It was fun to watch the clerk pull the fabric through.. then wiggle it back and forth to get the exact amount. Good memory!
    I think they might have stopped using them because a certain small amount of fabric was uncounted because the graph didn't start counting right at the cut end. Hense a small amount was not getting paid for. Here's something.....do you remember when there was one inch left on a bolt they would give it to you for free...not now

Blog Entries
    Over in England they are used for measuring curtain fabric. Seen it being used in : Dunelm . Do you have one?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    Here's something.....do you remember when there was one inch left on a bolt they would give it to you for free...not now
    I've received a lot more than one inch free when they have cut to the end of the bolt.

PLus some of our stores give a 15% discount if you take all that's on a bolt, whether it be a full bolt, or just the bolt end.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by booklady View Post
    When they had the fabric at the right spot, they would push down a handle to cut a starting spot for the clerk to cut the fabric!
    I loved those machines. Mother sewed beautifully and a trip to the L.S. Good department store was a treat. She selected pattern, fabric and notions and I had plenty of time to admire (and touch) the rainbow array of quality fabric. When cutting time arrived I was always at the edge of the table, fascinated by the dexterity of the saleslady. And the decorum of the transaction. Oh, how I longed to slip a yard or two through the magic measuring machine.

One of my first projects was doll clothes for my sister's little Ginny doll. I selected the pattern, just like Mother, and then searched for tiny scaled prints. How professionally and kindly the dear lady cut my 1/8 and 1/4 yard selections. I was shy about my tiny amounts but she treated me as if I were buying yards of silk and velvet. And she measured my bits on the machine.

Me, too! In fact, there was a woman who worked for our local Sears who made, for display in the fabric section, dresses for little girls, mostly in gingham with ruffles and lace. They were exquisitely made and always got a lot of attention from shoppers.

I had forgotten that until you mentioned fabric at Sears!

I remember those days. I think it gave a more accurate cut of fabric because sometimes the people cutting do not pau attention.
    LadyCougar

"There's always time to quilt"

Of course that should say pay attention.
    LadyCougar

"There's always time to quilt"

Wow, I remember those, and Cloth World and we had Mae's Fabric.

When I was in Charlottesville recently, I went to a fabric shop and they were still using that machine to measure their fabric! I was so surprised to see it. More accurate than using debatable measurements on a counter. Or worse, guessing at 1/2 yd because the clerk couldn't figure out that it was 18"!!
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    I used one when I worked for T G & Y in the fabric dept. If you did not put the fabric in just right, or if you tugged on the double knits too much, you did not get an accurate measurement.
    I still miss T G & Y! We had the best store here and I bought a lot of fabric there. I've mentioned that dollar stores have taken the place of five and dimes.....if only they would start selling fabric, too! ;-)

Thanks for the memories! Oh....for the good ole' days.

I posted a couple of photos of our fabric measuring meter in a thread last summer. It's called http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t133050.html

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I can remember exactly how it sounded when the fabric was pulled through the machine. My grandma would "go to town" to do her grocery shopping twice a month on Wednesday, and sometimes we'd make a stop at J.C. Penney to get material. I loved looking at the pattern books and daydreaming, and I still do! Later, the mall we shopped at was closed down, and later remodeled into a school where I taught. I always said my classroom was the fabric store.

I don't remember ever seeing that. And I'm not that young! I'm 50.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Wow! Thanks for all the memories to start the day -- those measuring machines, Cloth World, getting dressed up (including hats and white gloves) to go shopping in downtown Los Angeles and Pasadena etc. My first job was at Quigley's Department Store in the San Fernando Valley -- they had free gift wrapping and one of my responsibilities was curling the curling ribbon used to decorate the packages -- I still remember that with a smile whenever I wrap a package.

I remember those and the loud "click" when it reached the amount you needed and made a little snip in just the right spot. The fabric lady would then have a starting point for her cut. Those were the days!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast