Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember?

Blog Entries
    yes; I remember too. If I remember correctly, the machine "notched" the material at the point it would be cut from the bolt. In those days the clerk then tore the material. (I'm feeling old now!
    Mavis

I remember! In our little town, the local JC Penney used them!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

My grandfather and some of his children owned a General Merchandise store (everything from feed for animals, coal, kerosine, to groceries, to "work clothes [khaki's and denims]", shoes, linens, dishes, lingerie, fabrics and notions, costume jewelry, hats, and on and on. Well, my aunt bought one of those little machines to measure fabrics.They sold fabric until the store was demolished and rebuilt in 1968. Have no idea what happened to the gizmo, but I'm sure it's in someone's "stash" from the old store.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I remember the machine and Pennys and Sears selling fabric. Did any of you ever order a box of scraps from Sears for $5.00? I loved to make doll clothes and even made some to sell when I was in high school. My Mom let me order a box. There was one piece big enough to make the stylist A-line skirt.

For the younger quilters, a quick way to measure is to place the fabric to the tip of your nose, extending the length to your fingertips with out stretched arm is very near 1 yard.

look at their big fabric

Quote Originally Posted by molly oldham View Post
    I think in Nashville, JoAnn's was called Cloth World or maybe JoAnn's bought them out. And yes I too remember the "machine". Isn't it funny how we forget about things we haven't seen for a while?
    If you go to Joanns and want to buy home dec fabric on large rolls they have
    the same kind of machine at the end of the counter to measure out the fabric

I remember them. There were no JoAnn's in our area at the time. But we used to have a Hancock store with large table bins (large wooden tables with sides) of fabric marked .25 cents a yard on up to $1.00 a yard as the max for most cottons; some special dress fabrics were up to $1.25 a yard. The store clerks would measure and the machine would notch the fabric: then the clerk would tear the fabric. Always got up to two to four inches free fabric for straightening after you washed the fabric. Now I really feel old as I haven't seen fabric for less that 2.99 a yard in the past 10 years.

They are used in some stores that sell drapery and upholstery fabrics.
    SandyQuilter

Blog Entries
    We used to have Sew-Fro fabrics here also. Does anyone remember the chain called Caldor in the north east? I worked there as a teenager and the fabric dept. used those machines to cut fabric. I remember them measuring, then putting the little cut in the fabric when they pushed the handle down, then they would rip it. That goes back to the 70's for me!

Just about all fabric stores had them. Every so often I have come across a store that uses them, like every 5 years or more and usually small towns.

There was a five-and-ten (remember them?) that had a surprisingly good fabric department and that's what they used. To a child it was a fascinating thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I remember them in many stores that sold fabric (I am old enough to remember when Sears sold fabric, lol!)
    Back in the early 70's the Woolworth store in Houston sold fabric - had one of these machines too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Wonder why they stopped using them too..I am really feeling old now remembering them!! We didn't have a Joannes when I was younger, but I remember those from where my mother bought her fabric
    I think they stopped using them when knit fabrics became so popular. You couldn't get an accurate measument on those things with a knit because it would pull through the machine. I used to manage a Joann fabrics and we had those measure graph machines and they took them out at one point because of the new knit fabrics.

I still measure like that -- end of nose to length of arm -- for a quick take on how much fabric I have or need.

Yes, I remember them and I've been to a quilt shop in Oakley Kansas that still uses it.

nope sorry dont remember them..but i did take a look .... i worked in a fabric department and TG&Y do you remember those stores... well anyway that was before i was sewing so what a waste i could have gotten lots of fabrics.. we marked them down all the time and i got a 20% discount but those days are gone...lol...

Blog Entries
    I visit this little place up here, the fabric barn, its a shed really and the Lady there uses one to measure and cut. it puts a little cut in the fabric so you could rip it straight.

Blog Entries
    I remember them and JoAnn should go back to using them. My last trip they shorted me out of a yd in 3 cuts of fabrics and they would not make it right.

Hate to admit it but yes i do remember them, i think they should still be using them, they were more accurate than some of the people measuring fabrics today
    Doreen

Yea I remember those machines, only I remember them from when department stores used to sell fabric. They had a brown crinkle finish, and the clerk would sometimes move the fabric back and forth to gett on point before she pushed the lever down which clipped the fabric, THEN they TORE it!!!!!
    pat design

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Great memory, DebraK! They WERE made by Measuregraph, and still are actually.
    http://www.measuregraph.com/Product_...20Machines.htm

In fact, there's a compact one on eBay right now (current bid is only $18 - would be great for measuring a large stash).
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=measuregraph
    That's really a good price! I would love to have one and would use it for measuring my larger leftover fabric. Also would come in handy when I'm measuring a length of batting off my roll and backing too.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I too remember them. My mom bought lots of fabric. I also remember them mashing down a lever & it cutting the fabric so they could tear it or have a mark to cut by. Too bad Walmart doesn't still use them when you have to get somebody from Sporting Goods to cut your fabric.lol
    Live everyday so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says oh crap she's up.

The one I remember was more a square box -- and yes it cut the fabric, then it was torn if it was cotton. Wool was cut with scissors. I remember being taught to order an extra 1/8 yd of cotton so I could trim the edges after the tear. When I was a girl, Mom and Grandma would only let me buy Penny's fabric for clothes -- they felt that all other cotton was too cheap (don't know what brand of fabric, just had to come from Penny's). I was taught to feel the fabric to judge quality , straighten fabric before I started to cut, match the patterns at the seams.

Those machines were great -- you could always be sure how much you got. Guess the newer fabrics did not like being torn -- so sad.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Our brand new Jo-ann's store has one of those, but they only use it if there is a lot of yardage to measure. I don't know what the pros or cons are.

Blog Entries
    I remember! I only remember going to hancocks fabrics in Pensacola do I guess that's where there were

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast