Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember?

I remember those machines. They also make a clip in the edge of the fabric and the clerk tore the fabric from fold to edge and then hand cut the selvage.

I too remember those from my days as a little girl barely able to see over the counter to watch the magic of the fabrics sliding thru the machine!! My mom bought most of her fabrics at JC Penney's and I can still see that beautiful fabric section! Many, many yards of fabric went thru that machine that my mom purchased!!
    I worked in a fabric store in 1971/72 and we didn't have the Measuregraphs at that time.

I think when they stopped using them.... we stopped getting accurate cuts of fabric!!
    ;( JMHO
    Last edited by Divokittysmom; 07-08-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

I remember them. The employees complained that they were too much of a pain to use. They weren't able to wait on customers as quickly, so the machines were pulled....at least that is what I was told. The rollers also filled with fabric lint and became a royal pain to keep cleaned out once they weren't 'new' anymore.
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Wow...yes I remember those...........long time ago......

I used one of those when I worked at the G.C. Murphy store in Beaver, PA back in the late 70's. I didn't really like using it. I thought it was much easier to use a yardstick.

Quote Originally Posted by molly oldham View Post
    I think in Nashville, JoAnn's was called Cloth World or maybe JoAnn's bought them out. And yes I too remember the "machine". Isn't it funny how we forget about things we haven't seen for a while?
    Oh yes, I remember those machines and wish they were still in use! I often think of them when I watch my material being measured out - can't imagine why they were phased out.

pal
    I used them in 1955, the day after I got my working papers, at W.T.Grant. I felt like a real BigWheel using that machine. I still have some fabric with the Grant's sticker on it.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Power Poster
    I too remember the fabric stores using them, but I have no clue as to why they stopped using them.

I remember them. Because I went many years without sewing, I didn't even notice they weren't there when I started buying fabric again. They kind of went the way of the x-ray machines they used in the shoe stores to see your feet inside the shoes. As a kid, I thought that was kinda cool too. I guess that's why my feet glow in the dark

My LQS still tears the fabric. I was told by the lady that taught my quilting class that you wound up with straighter fabric that way.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I vaguely remember them, but it's too bad they don't use them anymore, because they are probably more accurate than running against a ruler.

Blog Entries

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just got some batting off the roll at Joann and the clerk used that machine to measure the yardage. I think it is used for all wide rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    Here's something.....do you remember when there was one inch left on a bolt they would give it to you for free...not now
    When I worked at Sew-Fro it was 1/4 yard that we could give away and between 1/4 and 1/2 yard for half price. It had to be written down though.

I remember both the JoAnn's being in strip malls and the little measuring machines. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Seems like I remember my mother fussing, because the machine did not measure straight.

Currently my Joann still uses it but only for the upholstery. When i bought yardage for my curtains they took it to this other table were the machine was attached it.
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

Yes, I remember them being used at Penney's. And they usually started measuring after about a foot of fabric, just to make sure that you had enough!!

Ben Franklin had those, back in the day. I found they distorted the edges of my fabric. I always took it home and washed it to get the puckers out.

I remember. When they got the length they wanted, they pushed down on a button or lever and it would make a 1" (approx) cut in the fabric to show they where to start cutting.

I'm old enough to remember those machines and fabric at Sears, K-Mart (before they merged with Sears), J.J. Newberrys, Srpouse-Reitz, Ben Franklin, Cloth World, House of Fabrics, and on and on and on. Sigh!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

You are dating us. I remember too.
    A quilt is a hug for future generations.

Yes I to remember those machines-thought they were so neat, makes me feel old.

I remember them being used in a JC Penny store

Quote Originally Posted by Maralyn View Post
    I remember them being used in a JC Penny store
    That's where I remember them from. I always loved to go to the second floor and look and all the fabric even when I was a kid. I'll be 60 in October and I remember a lot of neat things we had back then.

If you buy decorative fabric, they still use that machine.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast