Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone speak French ? >

Does anyone speak French ?

Does anyone speak French ?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:02 AM

I'll be happy to do the translation for you, French is my mother tongue so it should be an easy task for me, Just PM me your pattern, I am used to work in both languages, I also open this offer to anyone that struggle to convert a pattern from English to French.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 AM

I speak french and would be happy to help you. I have never learned about measurements or sewing shop talk, but there must be a french dictionary for anything I miss.

Gloria/glowworm
Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 AM

Oui!! If you need a back up I will help! :)
Old 05-14-2011, 07:02 AM

It's always great to see how many helping hands folks get when they ask. This is such a warm and welcoming place!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Pebble admiration from eastern Ontario,they are quite beautiful. Are you anywhere near New Liskeard?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:34 AM

there are several sites on the internet that will translate from any language to any language....just google..
Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 AM

I do not recommend using the translator installed in your computer, They do a poor job,they use any word . In Canada we have a law that obligates the seller to advertise in both languages French and Rnglish. I always read he English instructions and have a good laugh or get pretty mad at the French one.They do not make sense. I give you a two words example ''The singer's fans'' was translated by '' Les parapluies du chanteur'' literally meaning '' The singer's umbrella,
Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 AM

The fault with online translations is they cannot accurately handle idioms and true meanings are lost because of that. Imagine the literal translation of such things as 'putting all your ducks in a row', 'hit the books' or 'pig out'. :roll:
Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Google Goddess

that is great you found someone to help you translate the pattern and you live close by, now you have a sewing and quilting buddy

Originally Posted by Little RoO
Hi...this is a really big favour to ask..... I live in the UK and back in 2009 whilst on holiday in Europe I bought a magazine called Quilt Mania Hors-Serle Enfants 2009.....because it had two beautiful childrens applique quilt in it that I would love to make.
The only problem is,it is a french publication and therefore all the instructions are in french.
I know a very small amount from being taught many years ago in school and I have tried with dictionaries etc but cannot translate it.
Would anyone be kind enough to translate the instructions for me, the instructions are very short, just a couple of paragraphs really.......I would be more than happy to pay or send fabric if preferred as I know this is a big favour to ask...thank you
Old 05-14-2011, 02:47 PM

You can type whatever you want in Babelfish.yahoo.com and have it translated for you in seconds.