Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone try to make Vera Bradley  bags? >

Does anyone try to make Vera Bradley bags?

Does anyone try to make Vera Bradley bags?

Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 AM

There are literally dozens of different styles of Vera Bradley bags.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:38 PM

There are oodles of bag patterns available. One of the best places I've found to shop for patterns is "SewThankful.com" I've purchased several patterns from them and of different designers. By the time you buy a pattern, fabric, heavy fusible interfacing, zippers, magnetic closures, velcro, D rings, etc., you've spent a chunk of change, but still not as much as a Vera Bradley. The good thing is that you can make multiple bags from the same pattern (if you are giving gifts) and sometimes I create my own 'fabric' by quilting together various pieces from my stash which saves money, too. My daughters love getting bags from me. The other advantage is that you are very unlikely to see anyone else with the same bag!!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LindaR
I got a purse last summer at Dollar Daze for $7...laughed everytime someone said OMG a Vera Bradley purse. I always told them NO...a bargain. LOL
:lol: :thumbup:
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 AM

My mom makes the Brand X/Very Badly bags. Best Friends Quilts designed the patterns. You can get them at http://www.bestfriendsquilts.com
Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM

I've tried, but without an industrial sewing machine, it's hard to replicate some of her designs....Such as the emily bag with the clasp closure.

My sewing skills are just not good enough to make purese look anywhere near professional unfortunately.

eta: and I've never been able to get the shaping/stiffness right either.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:11 AM

I love Veras totally. And they are pricey! Thoe best copies seem to be not only the SIMPLE totes, but one using terrific fabrics.
Seen several using pre-quilted pieces. One good idea is to get a border print by removing the pre-quilting from fabric that has that idea worked into it. Really looks like Vera.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 AM

I don't think I'm experienced enough to make a bag so I'll continue to buy Vera Bradley. I only buy them on sale and I suspect that after buying the fabric, batting, etc and count your time I think you would have just about as much money in one you make as the cost of a VB. I'd rather spend my time piecing and quilting.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by gale
I should. I had 4 VB purses and sold 3. Not to mention the wallets, travel cases, coin holders, etc. I even had VB glasses for a while (from the optometrist-dd had a pair too).

I really don't like making bags though.
You sound like my big sis! She has a glasses case, bags galore, makeup case set, and an umbrella that all match! I love how the bags look, but I am just too cheap to buy something like that for myself. Give me fabric to fondle!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM

Red face Very Bradley similar patterns

Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
I love the Vera Bradley bags,but not the high prices.l Has any one been able to make a similar bag in style and if so, do y ou have a pattern. Would love to make a few for myself but cannot find a pattern. Any help would be appreciarted.
There are similar patterns out there, however, I just e-mailed for help on the Vera Bradley website to find out if there are any sewing patterns for her purses or similar so hang in there if I get an answer.

I also love the styles and fabrics, however, I do want to sew my own so if I find anything I will let you know. In the meantime, at JoAnn's stores there are some similar patterns you can use if in a hurry. I heard that McCalls has some similar ones new now and also they have designer patterns that are similar at JoAnn's. Kathy
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 AM

I found a pattern on line for free for a VB bag made out of a place mat and 2 napkins. It looks quite easy, but the place mats and napkins are sorta pricy. It seems like you could just get a bag pattern and copy the colors. I just put VB bag into the search bar and got lots of ideas.
Sue