Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone try to make Vera Bradley bags?

I love the Vera Bradley bags,but not the high prices.l Has any one been able to make a similar bag in style and if so, do y ou have a pattern. Would love to make a few for myself but cannot find a pattern. Any help would be appreciarted.

Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
    I love the Vera Bradley bags,but not the high prices.l Has any one been able to make a similar bag in style and if so, do y ou have a pattern. Would love to make a few for myself but cannot find a pattern. Any help would be appreciarted.
    I felt the same way you do . I loved a bag of her's I saw but wouldn't pay the money for it. I made my own!! You can check it out under "Purse I Just Made" here on the board. It's under pictures. Good luck!

You are right, her bags are beautiful and high priced. I usually just browse Simplicity and McCall patterns and try and find a bag similar to ones I like but can't afford to pay the high price. I will keep you in mind in case I come across one.

Blog Entries
    I should. I had 4 VB purses and sold 3. Not to mention the wallets, travel cases, coin holders, etc. I even had VB glasses for a while (from the optometrist-dd had a pair too).

I really don't like making bags though.

I love VB and have lots of pieces. I made a couple of bags last year but bag making is not my thing. I've seen lots of pretties here that gals have made and would love to be able to buy them. Never too many totes and bags!!

Blog Entries
    Wow...Maine Ladybug...I love the purse you made!!!! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-105609-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I got a purse last summer at Dollar Daze for $7...laughed everytime someone said OMG a Vera Bradley purse. I always told them NO...a bargain. LOL

I recently took an Amy Butler bag class. After I bought the book/pattern, the fabric, the interfacing etc, and the cost of the class, the bag cost me $85. Now if I take out the $25 book, and the class, it's still a $40 bag. It was the Everyday Shopper bag, which is a really big bag and reversible, so that add to the cost. I liked that I could customize the pockets to suit my likes though. Not making another bag anytime soon. A lot of work!

I've never made one..yet. The Vera Bradley bags are so cute.
    Where are these purses made now? Does anyone know?

I think the mini bow tucks bags are very similar to the Vera Bradley bags.

Blog Entries
    There are literally dozens of different styles of Vera Bradley bags.

There are oodles of bag patterns available. One of the best places I've found to shop for patterns is "SewThankful.com" I've purchased several patterns from them and of different designers. By the time you buy a pattern, fabric, heavy fusible interfacing, zippers, magnetic closures, velcro, D rings, etc., you've spent a chunk of change, but still not as much as a Vera Bradley. The good thing is that you can make multiple bags from the same pattern (if you are giving gifts) and sometimes I create my own 'fabric' by quilting together various pieces from my stash which saves money, too. My daughters love getting bags from me. The other advantage is that you are very unlikely to see anyone else with the same bag!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    I got a purse last summer at Dollar Daze for $7...laughed everytime someone said OMG a Vera Bradley purse. I always told them NO...a bargain. LOL
    :lol: :thumbup:

My mom makes the Brand X/Very Badly bags. Best Friends Quilts designed the patterns. You can get them at http://www.bestfriendsquilts.com

I've tried, but without an industrial sewing machine, it's hard to replicate some of her designs....Such as the emily bag with the clasp closure.

My sewing skills are just not good enough to make purese look anywhere near professional unfortunately.

eta: and I've never been able to get the shaping/stiffness right either.

I love Veras totally. And they are pricey! Thoe best copies seem to be not only the SIMPLE totes, but one using terrific fabrics.
    Seen several using pre-quilted pieces. One good idea is to get a border print by removing the pre-quilting from fabric that has that idea worked into it. Really looks like Vera.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I'm experienced enough to make a bag so I'll continue to buy Vera Bradley. I only buy them on sale and I suspect that after buying the fabric, batting, etc and count your time I think you would have just about as much money in one you make as the cost of a VB. I'd rather spend my time piecing and quilting.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I should. I had 4 VB purses and sold 3. Not to mention the wallets, travel cases, coin holders, etc. I even had VB glasses for a while (from the optometrist-dd had a pair too).

I really don't like making bags though.
    You sound like my big sis! She has a glasses case, bags galore, makeup case set, and an umbrella that all match! I love how the bags look, but I am just too cheap to buy something like that for myself. Give me fabric to fondle!

Red face Very Bradley similar patterns

Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
    There are similar patterns out there, however, I just e-mailed for help on the Vera Bradley website to find out if there are any sewing patterns for her purses or similar so hang in there if I get an answer.

I also love the styles and fabrics, however, I do want to sew my own so if I find anything I will let you know. In the meantime, at JoAnn's stores there are some similar patterns you can use if in a hurry. I heard that McCalls has some similar ones new now and also they have designer patterns that are similar at JoAnn's. Kathy

I found a pattern on line for free for a VB bag made out of a place mat and 2 napkins. It looks quite easy, but the place mats and napkins are sorta pricy. It seems like you could just get a bag pattern and copy the colors. I just put VB bag into the search bar and got lots of ideas.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts View Post
    My mom makes the Brand X/Very Badly bags. Best Friends Quilts designed the patterns. You can get them at http://www.bestfriendsquilts.com
    qbquilts, Best Friends is closed.

I also love Vera Bradley bags....have bought and sold several on ebay, at very discounted prices. I think their major attraction is her fabrics and combinations, more so than the basic design. Does anyone know if you can buy her fabrics any where.....

Power Poster
    I think the 'batting' in her fabrics is some sort of foam - I don't know where home sewers can acquire similar fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I think the 'batting' in her fabrics is some sort of foam - I don't know where home sewers can acquire similar fabric.
    Foam is a good idea, will make them 'stand up' and not be limpy for sure. i wonder what the 1" foam from Joanns would quilt down to......thats a thought

I just bought some patterns, not exactly like Vera Bradley (love her bags and own a few myself), but am going to give it a go. I will post some pics when they are finished. Have to get my new sewing machine first. LOL.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast