Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this bother anyone else or is it just me >

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 AM

I've never bought a kit. I like doing my own thing. So, does the kit include just the fabric for the top? If so, it seems very expensive to me for 53x64 quilt, even in batiks. For $75 I could make a king size top. I could buy 10.5 yards of batiks at Connecting Threads.

I agree with those who said to pick your own fabrics. It would be cheaper and picking fabric is the most fun.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 AM

What's the name of the book that you need for the pattern? I'm sure that there is someone on here who has it.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:15 AM

Buy the book and shop around for the fabric you want. Then you'll have other patterns too and probably get fabric for the quilt for less than $75. Some of this is totally out of control, like they think we're idiots and will buy anything as long as it says "quilt" on it.
Originally Posted by pocoellie
I don't understand why a kit would be $75 and doesn't INCLUDE the pattern. I'd rather buy the pattern and not the kit or if the pattern is in a book, I'd buy the book.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I love her book! Do try looking at Connecting Threads. I have found books at 20%-40% off. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by familyfun
I hate how expensive kits are. I have seen so many that I would love to have but I think it would be cheaper to buy everything seperatly. Am I wrong?
I feel the same way :D
Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 AM

I think a quilt "kit" should include a pattern - otherwise it should be a "bundle" or something.

What's a "kit" without the kaboodle? ;)

But I will say that this is a WONDERFUL book and well worth the cost - you may find a LOT of patterns in the book that you want to make. I did and I don't even save my scraps!

I would skip the kit and buy the book. Really - it's that good. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltSage
Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
Some people already own the book or pattern and resent or won't purchase a kit that includes it. The shop owner is damned if they do by others and damned by you if they don't. Give them a break. Just buy the pattern or book or don't buy the kit.

However, I DO think it should be clearly marked that the book or pattern is not included in the kit.
I agree with you. They can't include the pattern because they don't own the copyright. To include the pattern would be ILLEGAL and unethical. But they may be selling the book and some of their customers requested they put together a kit to make some of the patterns in the book. And it must have been obvious that the pattern wasn't included in the kit because the Poster knew that, so she didn't buy the kit. While I understand the frustration, I also appreciate, as a designer, when people respect the copyright law and other people's intellectual property.
In most cases I would agree. This seller had designed the pattern herself so she could have included it without issue.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by denilynne
The pattern is not available unless i buy the book, i wrote to the company and ask them, they said nope gotta buy the book, so unless i can find the book cheaper or figure out the pattern myself guess i'll have to wait on this one.
I would make a note of this company, and steer away from any more of their incomplete offers.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM

If you want the book look at BookDepository.com , Type book name and author I see they have it for $15.99, a $9.00 saving and free shipping. Just trying to help a fellow quilter. Ruth
Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM

If you know the name of the book, try your local library. They may have the book in their collection. If not, they may be able to borrow it from another library for free or a nominal shipping cost.