Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does cotton/poly blend make a person sweat? >

Does cotton/poly blend make a person sweat?

Does cotton/poly blend make a person sweat?

Old 11-21-2023, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
My daughter used a bamboo on my quilt and it is great. Breaths well!
Bamboo batting is my new favorite! I love the softness and drape.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:54 AM

I'm a natural fibers only person - clothing and quilts. Poly is SO hot and uncomfortable for me.

My most often used batting is Warm & Natural (or Warm & White); I've also used their Warm & Plush. I also love Tuscany Wool batting by Hobbs.

As far as frequent washing, a couple of my earliest quilts have been washed countless times. They were throws that got lots of use by children, with a cat that frequently slept on their laps - so washed weekly. The fabrics have faded, but no other damage. One was tied, the other loosely machine quilted.

For items that will be frequently washed, I would not use the wool.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:08 AM

That quilt was well loved.

Polyester is plastic. Lasts forever in land fills. Doesn’t degrade. Might be good for binding.

Wearing plastic is uncomfortable.

Any cellulose fiber absorbs moisture and helps cool. Bamboo and cotton are cellulose. The drape of bamboo is great, making it very soft.

wool is more comfortable in humid climates
Old 11-22-2023, 08:17 AM

My favorite batting is Hobbs 80/20 Cotton/Wool blend. That might be the best of both worlds.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:01 AM

Polyester is man-made, synthetic fiber which is essentially plastic.

If you've ever worn an article of clothing that has a high poly-blend, not only will you find that the item clings, but it doesn't allow the natural process of drawing moisture away from your body and dissapating it like 100% natural cotton does, and I also that poly-blend clothing retains odour.

I loathe polyester with a passion.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
For items that will be frequently washed, I would not use the wool.
Why? I have a quilt on my bed that is close to 10 years old, wool batting, washed about once a month or so in my washer and dryer at home. It's still beautiful today as it was the day I completed it and put it on my bed.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:27 AM

Default Batting

Thank you all so much for the helpful responses! I ended up using Quilters Dream Request 100% cotton batting, all cotton fabrics, and cut the binding on the bias. Took me 12 days to make, binding, quilt; approx 90"x100" - in time for Christmas
so he's set for another ten years, possibly longer, since he now has a front loader no agitator washing machine and care instructions
Old 01-22-2024, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

My new favorite is Missouri Star Best Blend Batting. It is 80/20. It is light bating, has a great drape, feels soft as flannel, and reasonably prices. It is on sale several times a year. My daughter who knows nothing about batting noticed how soft my quilts were using this batting. The quilt will be light and soft. For quilts that need to provide warmth I use wool batting.