Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does cotton/poly blend make a person sweat? >

Does cotton/poly blend make a person sweat?

Does cotton/poly blend make a person sweat?

Old 11-21-2023, 04:17 AM

Default Does cotton/poly blend make a person sweat?

Planning a quilt for my adult son. It will see heavy use, frequent launderings. The quilt I made him ten years ago - the binding (It wasn't bias cut) and backing (more of a lighter dress weight fabric) are falling apart .... batting was either 100% cotton or 80/20 blend.
Im thinking cotton/poly blend batting would be lighter in the washing machine.
but he sweats (hence the frequent launderings).
Anyone know if a 80/20 blend batting will make him sweat? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2023, 04:51 AM

All I know is that 100% cotton will breath. Poly is not a breathable fabric in my opinion. I'd look for a Warm and Natural Brand or a Hobbs Heirloom Cotton batting which is 100% cotton. Please remember that cotton batting will shrink more, and you may have to make the quilt a few inches bigger to make up the difference.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:26 AM

Have you thought about using a lightweight poly batting (holds up well to laundering) and would make a 'less warm' quilt. Or maybe just using a flannel sheet instead of batting? If you decide on a flannel sheet, make sure to wash and dry it a couple of times before using to reduce any shrinkage.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:04 AM

I have a hard time wearing poly or poly/cotton clothes in the summer. Even wearing a cotton/poly t-shirt makes me hot. Of course, I'm in Texas, so it gets hot.

Polyester fabric doesn't breathe (allow body heat to dissipate). So, it will be warmer to sleep under.

The poly fabric, itself, will last longer and wash well. It will not fade much, if at all.

So, in my opinion, it's a trade-off. One is better for this and the other is better for that.

bkay
Old 11-21-2023, 09:43 AM

I agree with bkay. It is a trade off.
However, another option for breathe-ability and durability is bamboo. I've been using a cotton / bamboo blend on baby blankets that get washed a lot, and it has been holding up very well. It's also soft.
That doesn't help you with binding though...

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 11-21-2023 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:15 AM

I made my first quilt using mostly polyester and a couple of cotton fabrics. I didn't know that I should use just cotton fabrics. I made this quilt 40 years ago and the poly doesn't look faded at all. I hand quilted it and it quilted just like cottons. With the price of cotton fabrics skyrocketing so much, I think I'll probably switch making a quilt just using poly fabrics if the price of cotton gets so high that it is not affordable. Where I lived winters were cold and snowy, so being too warm was not a problem.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:33 AM

I have made one quilt with washable wool batting. It is expensive. But it is wonderful. I breathes really well and is cooler in the summer than cotton yet warmer in the winter.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:28 PM

I hate those synthetic (poly) fake-wool slippers that are so common! My feet freeze and sweat at the same time. My husband likes polyester clothing which unfortunately retains odors, so I now wash his clothes separately and use vinegar in place of fabric softener. Helps keep the odors at bay.

I would also suggest using wool batting.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:41 PM

I live in a very hot, humid climate. I don't use any polyester anything because it makes me feel so hot. 100% cotton batting might be better for that. I use the lightest 100% cotton batting I can find for bed quilts.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:12 PM

My daughter used a bamboo on my quilt and it is great. Breaths well!