Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Everyone But Me >

Does Everyone But Me

Does Everyone But Me

Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 AM

I don't prewash as well. However, I do wash with shout. (Fabric Dye Catcher). My local LQS owner states that doesn't prewash as well as a retired QS owner states the same. If it's good enough for them - it's good enough for me.

You will find, however, if you participate in any swap, round robin, etc., it is a rule that your fabric be prewashed.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
I don't prewash as well. However, I do wash with shout. (Fabric Dye Catcher). My local LQS owner states that doesn't prewash as well as a retired QS owner states the same. If it's good enough for them - it's good enough for me.

You will find, however, if you participate in any swap, round robin, etc., it is a rule that your fabric be prewashed.
I have participated in swaps where unwashed fabric was the requirement. It's because you can always wash fabric but you can never unwash it.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Even tho I am fairly new to quilting, and there are pro's and con's to each, I pre-wash. Not so much for shrinkage but for color bleeding. Especially with cotton. Have heard a lot of bad stories of beautiful quilts getting washed and colors ran into each other. Also pucking from shrinking so bad that it was impossible to save.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 AM

I don' wash mine. I love the look when it shrinks up and looks old and loved.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM

I normally do not prewash and now I know why. I am making a quilt for my children and I knew they would wash it especially when someone is sick. So I washed the fabric today and I can't believe all the frayed thread. I will not wash for my future quilts but now for the kids I am glad I did. The quilt be used a great deal and I know the dogs will enjoy it too.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:58 PM

I used to pre wash everything, then I heard people say it was OK not to pre wash. So for a while I did not pre wash. BUT when I started hearing about chemicals etc in the fabrics we are getting (LQS too), I have decided to pre wash everything. I run my fabrics thru a gentle load with out soap and with Shout Color Blocker and then put them in the dryer.

Works for me; however, everyone sees things differently and I respect that. It would be a dull world (and board) if everyone agreed on everything.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Me too. If I get it at a yard sale,maybe. Depends on how the rest of the stuff looks.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 PM

I haven't done much in the quilting yet but will. As to weather to prewash or not. A solution to the tangled mess that can happen. As I purchase my fabric, for what ever reason, I serge my raw edges before I toss in the washer. You won't loose threads. Also toss in a dye graber in so as not to have fabric bleed. Ironing, which I do not mind, spray the fabric with Mary Ellen's Best Press & it will handle quite nicely. Enjoy.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:13 PM

I don't wash it either. I buy top quality and have never had a problem with washing the quilts later. Some over and over and over again
:lol:
Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 PM

It depends on the weave. Coarse weave, yes because it is more likely to shrink.