Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you? >

Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you?

Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you?

Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

there is a shop around here (35-40 miles away) That is kind of like that- the one that if hubby is with me he waits in the car- can't stand to be in there for 5 minutes (he usually enjoys going into quilt shops with me) then the closest one to me is really small- if they have 4 customers it is crowded- but it does not bother us at all to be in there...the crazy chaotic, disorganized busy one is at least 5 time larger than my little close to me shop...but I have to really, really need/want something she has to go there...(and her shop is always very busy too) I know a few of her *followers/regulars* and it seems they kind of 'thrive' on that atmosphere- and my little local they hate because it does not have enough going on- so I guess since each of us are different- luckily for the shop owners if they can find their (types) and get them in the door they can make it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 AM

About five years ago while on a weekend trip, I visited a LQS that had lots of fabric but not good organization. Looked like there was an attempt but not followed through. I am much more likely to buy when the shop is organized, has good lighting and a good traffic pattern. Guess my mind is cluttered enough without facing more.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 AM

I'm claustrophobic so can't bear any store with narrow, cluttered aisles. Also won't shop anywhere that is not clean. There is a shop about 15 miles from me that absolutely has everything, but it is cluttered & very disorganized. It is in an old house so has many small rooms literally stuffed full - I made it through 2 rooms one time then sat in the car while DD "explored". She didn't stay long either & bought nothing although she saw many things she liked - she just couldn't get to them. Another thing that turns us off is when mdse is literally stacked to the ceiling. Since both of us are under 5' even if we see something we might buy, if it is too high, it's not worth the effort to have someone get it down for us (if we can even find anyone, that is)
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Easy access to what I want counts! Although I am more apt to bend over for something - if I happen to see it - than to ask someone for help in getting something down that is out of reach.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
I found a new "to me" quilt shop or fabric store - not sure what to call it - on Saturday. Went with DH to a town about an hour away for our annual trip to get his favorite apples (Grimes Golden). We sort of got lost while going around the town square and wound up on a "business loop" around the town and when we finally found the right road out of town I squealed when I saw the words every quilter loves to see - FABRIC - on a store on the highway. Made DH turn around (which he just loves to do). This store must have been the twin to your store - but did not have time to look around too much as DH was in a fizz to get to this apple orchard before they closed at 3. I did find some absolutely fabulous batiks that came home with me. I definitely will go back when DH isn't in such a hurry. May have to go back by myself to make sure that I see it all.
I laughed at your husband having a "fizz." Next time, send him on to the apples. He'll be sure to stop and pick you up if you keep the family checkbook. Ask me how I know all this! HEE HEE!!!

Sounds like the owner of the shop (original post) needs more help. It's extremely difficult for me to organize and she may be the same.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 AM

There is a quilt store in Bloomington, IL that is totally packed--floor to ceiling. There is barely enough room for one person to walk between the rows. There are three rooms like this. Owner knows her inventory, but I can't believe the fire marshall has not closed her down. Only go there in deparation if trying to find something specfic, ask questions and get out as quickly as possible.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM

The shops we have here are really great. They have wonderful samples hanging or artfully displayed. Fabrics are arranged by designer so you can find what you want. I love it when I go in, am greeted and then told (with enthusiasm)--have you seen what we have that is new? All 4 shops have a good inventory, pleasant employees and good sales. I go just to pet fabric sometimes. We are spoiled in this area for sure!!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 AM

The worst shop I was in had an odor, could see water marks in the ceiling and by the time I got home, one eye was almost swollen shut...my dr. said it was an allergic reaction to MOLD!!!! I've never gone back and they continually advertise and it isn't that far from me!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 AM

Personally I think both the clean and organized and the chaotic have charm. If I want something in a hurry
I'd go to the organized one. If I had nothing in particular in mind I'd have fun searching through the chaotic one
For "treasures"!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 AM

I'm not a neat freak, especially when I'm in creative mode, but if I'm shopping for fabric I prefer there to be at least a minimum of organization. Otherwise you end up spending all your time mentally trying to organize the chaos rather than enjoy shopping. I've been known to do a bit of rearranging as I go in such situations. Lol!