Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this machine exist? >

Does this machine exist?

Does this machine exist?

Old 12-19-2010, 04:03 PM

I have a Viking that has the beep for low bobbin, so you might want to check them out
Old 12-19-2010, 04:21 PM

Yes it is called a Juki TL-98E love mine.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Boy, IrishNY, I'm with you. What you mentioned is exactly what I want and have been looking for....but not actively looking for. I'm going to watch this post to get some advice and information. Thanks for posting this.

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I have a Bernina that I love but want to buy a backup machine. I want to spend under $1000, so not top of the line but good quality (remember, I am used to a Bernina ;-) ).

Here's the catch - I don't care about lots of stitches, embroidery, etc. I want a great straight stitch, automatic tension, knee lift, needle up/down, feed dogs that can be dropped. I would love to have a warning about low bobbin thread, automatic thread cutter and self-threading but can live without one or all of these if I have to. And a wide throat space would be wonderful!

I've looked at the Janome 6600 but it seems like more machine than I want. The 6500 doesn't have the dual feed and I think I would like that.

I don't want a old machine - I know they are basic and well-built. I have a FW and love it but want a backup that stands up to sewing really fast because that's the way I sew.

I kind of want to trade off having a zillion extras on the machine for high quality basics. Does such a machine exist?

As you can tell, I am really confused about what's out there and I don't have time to check out every type of machine. If I could get a few suggestions from you experts, it would help tremendously. Thanks in advance! ;) ;-)
Old 12-19-2010, 04:41 PM

I love my 6600P. A good used one should be in the neighborhood of $600. At least that is what my dealer said I should ask for mine if I try to sell it myself. It is NOT for sale. Lots of 6600 owners want to move up to the 7700 so are selling or trading. Takes seconds to engage the dual feed foot which stays attached on the back. I lift the pressor foot, move the dual feet portion under the regular pressor foot, it snaps into place and I sew!
There is a yahoo group for Janome 6500/6600. You become a member to learn if you are interested in purchasing. Love my machine.
Teresa in McKinney, TX
Old 12-19-2010, 04:55 PM

The Brother Nouvelle 1500 has pinfeed, which works like a charm. I never use a walking foot on this machine and it has speed and power for sewing thru thick layers. Love it..
Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 PM

I would look on ebay or your dealer for a used Bernina 830(30 year old model, not current one) or Bernina 930. I have six
older machines, no computer ones. I had a computer machine
and I gave it away. I have two 830's and I LOVE them. They
do not have the features you want, but the machines sew well.

Rose
Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM

I just bought the brother NX630 last year. It has all you asked for plus 3 alphabets, and gazillions of stitches. I know you don't want all that, but it is a real work-horse. I spent just under $1,000 for it, but I got the fancy one. You could get a less fancy one, in your budget, and be very happy with it. Brothers are durable, long lasting, and I've never sent one in to be fixed. Just did not need to. Well made. I have used many different machines and Brother comes out the winner each time. When I went shopping for "Pearl" I had a budget of $3,000, and found all I wanted for under $1,000. You can't beat it. I did not even know they had self threading machines! Go to your nearest Brother dealer and look around. Spend some time shopping, make sure you get just what you want. Sales pitches do not make quilts, you do. Have fun.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 PM

My daughter bought a fairly inexpensive machine at Sears and she loves it. Not a Bernina of course, but a good basic machine. She does a lot of FM quilting on it and it sure does a great job. She has a friend that buys the $99 machine at Sears and adds a years extra warranty and uses it to quilt with and when or if it breaks down it is covered by the warranty for two years and she gets it fixed free, or if the warranty runs out she simply buys another just like it and goes on her merry way. Says it is cheaper than repairs for most other machines.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 PM

I sew, quilt & embroider on a Bernina 730, so I know where you are coming from. Starting Jan. 3 I am going to be doing full-time child care for our first grandchild (yea!!!!) and I wanted a machine to keep at the kids' house so I can (hopefully) do a little piecing when the baby sleeps. I don't need all the bells and whistles as I can do my embroidery or FMQ at home. I ended up buying a new Bernina 380. It does everything that I need and I could not believe this...it sews as well as my 730!!! There are 3 models in the new 300 series and at least one or two are in your price range. The nice thing is that while the 300s have snap-on feet, they also take the regular feet and walking foot from my other Bernina. Watch for sales and see what you can do...I love my new machine and my other daughter, an HV Designer I quilter, loves my new machine, too. I'll tell you what my husband said ....when you go in to purchase the 380 just don't mix up the numbers and come home with an 830!!!! Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Look at the Juki TL-98Q.........semi industrial. I bought one on line a few months ago for $745. It came with 30 free bobbins, a HUGE amount of free needles, and a number of feet. I LOVE this machine!!!! It is a true workhorse........I quilt most of my quilts on this machine.