Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this machine exist? >

Does this machine exist?

Does this machine exist?

Old 12-20-2010, 02:21 PM

I have the Bernina 200 and I wanted a back up besides my FW's also. I found a used Bernina Virtuosa 150 which has suited my needs perfectly. I also have been able to find a 1060 for my daughter and a Virtuosa 153 for my niece and a 185 machine for my DIL. All were in immaculate shape and worked perfect...as most Bernina's do. I don't think you will be happy with another machine if you are accustomed to stitching on a Bernina. I believe the low end (basic features) is right around $1000. My DIL bought one brand new from the dealer. I found the machines on Craig's list and I put a request on a yahoo group...sewitsforsale and got the other one. My dealer just advertised that they have some trade in machines they are selling. Your dealer might be doing the same thing. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:03 PM

Have you looked on "Overstock.com" many refurbished and new at reasonable prices...Also Husqvarna Viking dealers are having a great sale on the Saphire line for 999...
Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 AM

Janome has come out with a scale down machine with 9" throat, and I think all the features you might be looking for. I think my dealer quoted me about $1000 or $1200. Don't remember the model number, but google Janome and check it out. It is 26 pounds. I want one for retreats and this just might be the one!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 AM

you may want to check out the Bernina Activas. Bernina is replacing the Activa series with the 300 series and they are clearing out all the activas at very great prices - you can get a top of the line machine for about /2 of what they typically sell for. Happy shopping.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I have a Bernina that I love but want to buy a backup machine. I want to spend under $1000, so not top of the line but good quality (remember, I am used to a Bernina ;-) ).

Here's the catch - I don't care about lots of stitches, embroidery, etc. I want a great straight stitch, automatic tension, knee lift, needle up/down, feed dogs that can be dropped. I would love to have a warning about low bobbin thread, automatic thread cutter and self-threading but can live without one or all of these if I have to. And a wide throat space would be wonderful!

You've described my Pfaff Grand Quilter. I love it. It doesn't have all the fancy stitches but it sews and quilts beautifully.

I've looked at the Janome 6600 but it seems like more machine than I want. The 6500 doesn't have the dual feed and I think I would like that.

I don't want a old machine - I know they are basic and well-built. I have a FW and love it but want a backup that stands up to sewing really fast because that's the way I sew.

I kind of want to trade off having a zillion extras on the machine for high quality basics. Does such a machine exist?

As you can tell, I am really confused about what's out there and I don't have time to check out every type of machine. If I could get a few suggestions from you experts, it would help tremendously. Thanks in advance! ;) ;-)
Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I have a Bernina that I love but want to buy a backup machine. I want to spend under $1000, so not top of the line but good quality (remember, I am used to a Bernina ;-) ).

Here's the catch - I don't care about lots of stitches, embroidery, etc. I want a great straight stitch, automatic tension, knee lift, needle up/down, feed dogs that can be dropped. I would love to have a warning about low bobbin thread, automatic thread cutter and self-threading but can live without one or all of these if I have to. And a wide throat space would be wonderful!

I've looked at the Janome 6600 but it seems like more machine than I want. The 6500 doesn't have the dual feed and I think I would like that.

I don't want a old machine - I know they are basic and well-built. I have a FW and love it but want a backup that stands up to sewing really fast because that's the way I sew.

I kind of want to trade off having a zillion extras on the machine for high quality basics. Does such a machine exist?

As you can tell, I am really confused about what's out there and I don't have time to check out every type of machine. If I could get a few suggestions from you experts, it would help tremendously. Thanks in advance! ;) ;-)
You've described my Pfaff Grand Quilter and I love it. It doesn't do fancy stitches but it sews and quilts beautifully.
sorry for the mixed up first posting.

:oops: :oops: