Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it matter? >

Does it matter?

Does it matter?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 PM

I read QB on my iPad in bed before I go to sleep. I generally read all of the postings on the threads I am interested in but I am a fast reader. I always read Main but I keep forgetting about the picture section. I know I must be missing out on some great inspiration.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM

If I have a comment I will post it. I don't know what you mean by the digest. I come to the board and check on some things I'm following or involved with like the swaps. And I'll look at whats new. Sometimes I'll see something there and look at it and post, and then realize it was started a long time ago, maybe even a year or more, but someone had come across it and posted to it so it is back in the current sphere. Sometimes those are really special to see too. I do try to keep track of my started threads or others that I would like to keep tabs on by using thread tools to subscribe to. If you have something to add why not?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
QM
Power Poster

I also pick and chose which threads to read. I have no interst in antiqu machines. I almost aways respond to people asking for quilting help. I have had several people PM me about my responses even though many responded before me. For them, yes I do think additional insight helps. Of course, if I don't care for a quilt or know nothing of the subject, I will say nothing. I don't read every posting on the threads I do read. I read eveything said in response to me and do appreciate the feedback. Like Nanna up north, I have limited access to major face to face quilting connections, so QB provides lots of inspiration to me.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 AM

I always notice the number of "hits" on each post. This shows me that how many members were interested. Then I look at the number of replys. Both matter to me.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 AM

Thanks everyone - and yes, I read every response. Special thanks for informing me of how you read the quilting board, being a "newbie" I have been going through the sections on the digest, picking the ones I like the best like main, photos, recipes, and not being able to distinguish ones I have read before. So, I'm really glad I asked the question and again, thank you for clueing me in on the fabulous options on the quilting board.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
I get my new edition of the digest around 6:30 am. I try to keep my dogs quiet until after I quickly look at what has been posted, but most often I have to wait until the barn chores are done and my dogs are napping to read the news and browse through the beautiful pictures. When I see something that truly inspires me to comment, most often I find that there are already 2 or more pages of comments. When I find that there are more than 4 pages of responsed I close the post and don't add my opinion. So, I was wondering, does it matter to you how many people respond to something you have posted or is it more gratifying to find that oodles of people have been moved to respond? Regardless, I will continue to read every thread created, I enjoy reading everyones comments and learn so much from all the advice.
Thanks for asking - I too was wondering the same thing!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
You do realize that the digest is not the most recent threads created, but a random listing chosen by some automated program?
Who knows what the algorithm is that selects them?

So by the time you get the digest, yes, the threads might have been on the board for a day already (if not more).
Not to mention ALL the threads that aren't on the digest.
I've never understood its appeal.

If you access the board via this link, all the threads in each category are listed in most recent order started.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/sitemap/

When you click on a thread, the title on the list should change color, marking it as "read" so you'll always know which ones you've already accessed.
[/URL][/B]
That is the feature I miss most about the old software for the QB - it was effortless to to just see the "new". I know there are other ways to do it, but I liked that and have, so far, just relied on the digest to get my daily fix.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:01 AM

If I read a post asking for assistance or advice, I will read thru the replies to make sure my answer hasn't already been mentioned (don't feel the need for the OP to see it 15 times). If the OP is posting a pic of a finished quilt and I feel like a response is necessary, then I will post regardless of how many others there may be. If there is a post the really intrigues me, then I will read every response and maybe even ask a question of my own. Each original post has different requirements for me and sorry to say that not all of them are read. For instance....since I have a Janome 6600, I don't want to read about someones issues with their Bernina....or someone complaining about quality of WalMart Fabrics. I either don't feel qualified to answer or don't have anything new to add to the thread.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
... When I find that there are more than 4 pages of responsed I close the post and don't add my opinion. So, I was wondering, does it matter to you how many people respond to something you have posted or is it more gratifying to find that oodles of people have been moved to respond? Regardless, I will continue to read every thread created, I enjoy reading everyones comments and learn so much from all the advice.
I have had the same reaction you describe to messages that have grown to more than 5 pages. When I have seen some that are 15 or more pages long, I wonder if perhaps this is an old post that has been revived several times over. That thought was discouraging. I am not going to do more than just read the original in that case.

There is another thing that has discouraged me lately and that is the section on pictures. Many a new message in that category includes a photo right from the first posting. Has anyone here tried to do that lately? No matter how many times I have posted messages, I have never been able to add a photo until I respond to my own message or to someone's message that has responded to me. So how are pictures posted? Is that privilege only for certain members?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 AM

Yes it does. Your opinion matters.