Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Does this method of preparing binding help avoid puckers???

I serge around my quilt after it is quilted, fold and press the binding, pin about every 5 inches and I never have puckers or pleats. I have also found some of the neatest clips to use when I am finishing my binding, they are by Clover and are made like hair clippies, but smaller. I find they are much kinder to your hands as they never prick.

I lightly starch the binding as I am folding it. Keeps smooth without puckers.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skjack View Post
    I don't get puckers in my binding. I also don't press binding in half before attaching had lecture with Marci Baker and she just folds binding in half and sews it to quilt save a step. So I tried it and I like it and when turn to wrong side to hand stitch down it lays great so i save a save time...
    That is really interesting...not ironing it flat before sewing it on. Is it hard to keep the two pieces together? Do they get away from you at all? And when you turn it over to sew it and you don't have the flat fold, how is it to sew?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I cut the binding, iron it in 1/2, then fold the edges into the middle and iron with starch. I then place the binding onto the quilt by hand and slowly with my fingers guiding the binding, hand sew it on. I don't have the puckers or twists you're talking about. Long ago, another story - too many twists and turns. It's amazing how educational tutorials can be!

I do not sew the binding strip. But what I have found helps me more is after I square up the quilt before binding, I go around the edge with a zig zag stitch. This I find is worth the extra time.

Blog Entries
    I have always done my binding similar to this but I really love the tute about the sewing on of the binding this way. I cannot do a lot of hand sewing because of arthritis. Thanks for sharing this tutorial.

If you have never made your bindings like Sharon Schamber you really need to check this out! Go to YouTube and search for Sharon Schamber bindings of the Angel..her techniques are spot on!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3