Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does my Janome not like some thread? >

Does my Janome not like some thread?

Does my Janome not like some thread?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
One of my friends has this issue with hers and this is how she solved it. Hopefully I can explain it in a way that makes sense.
Normally when you thread your machine you bring the thread up through the tension discs and then along the right side of the arm, through the loop at the end of the arm and down the left side to continue through the little loops before you get to the needle. What she does is after she brings the thread through the tension discs she crosses the thread over the arm and goes from left to right through the hook at the top of the arm and then continues down through the loops to the needle. This doesn't affect the tension on the thread so sewing is fine but having the thread in essence cross over itself at the loop keeps it from coming out. I believe she got this idea from her dealer.
I have a Janome 8900 and have never had this problem but you are not alone in this happening on your model.
This is what I've seen recommended on the Janome Yahoo site for the 6500/6600 machines. I have the 6600 and fortunately have not had this problem.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
PatriceJ:
I believe you replaced your 6600P with the 11000SE ? As I did, but missing the Acufeed system, not getting the same quality results with the Even Feed Foot. Do you feel the same? Wondering if I might have a faulty EF Foot.
i had the 11000SE first.
i bought the 6600 because i loved piecing on the 11000 so much i never made time to use the embroidery. LOL

i still have the 11000, but have since replaced the 6600 with an 8900.

i have not yet found a regular walking foot [even feed] that equals the Acufeed system.
my bet is that owners of any brand that has a built in even feed system (e.g. pfaff) will say the same.

the walking foot for my smaller brother machine does a better job than i expected.
i can't tell you how it compares to the janome walking foot because i haven't used that one for several years.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:53 AM

I have the Janome 6600 and have the same problem. I agree with it being a design issue. I took my machine in at least once a week when I first bought it. It's much better about not doing it now. It's also true that it happens more frequently when you sew full throttle. If I stick to a more medium speed, I don't have the issues.
I also had trouble with bird's nest knots with he 6600. I bought some of the Magic Genie bobbin washers which too care of that problem. Other than those two issues I have loved this machine.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Administrator

if you follow the threading advice first posted by citruscountyquilter (comment #18, above), you will solve the problem.
if you needed washers to get rid of birds nests, you are using the wrong size bobbin.
the 6600 uses a class 15 bobbin. sounds like you are/were using class Ls.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:48 PM
dms

I'm not sure of your problem, but I had a Viking diamond that had a different part to fix that problem. Maybe Janome is different. Hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 PM

I have had a MC6600 for over four years and have never, ever had this problem. I use whatever thread I have on hand but always use bobbin thread. Good luck on fixing your problem.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:23 AM

Thank you, PatriceJ for sharing that info with me. It's always good to hear about other's experiences with the same products.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:22 AM

I just finished a quilt on my 6600. I used all kinds of thread: Mettlar, Superior, unspecified metallic embroidery thread, and for the bulk of my FMQ I used Dual Duty with So Fine Superior thread in the bobbin. It was the only thread I had that matched and it was late. Never had used Dual duty before. All worked beautifully. I do have the special FMQ bobbin case. I have had that weird tension thing happen a few months back. I didn't worry about it as it only happened once or twice. Now I know how to solve it! This machine has taken any thread I've thrown at it.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:08 AM

I have a picky Janome DC1050. It likes Aurifil and Coats, but chokes on Essential brand from Connecting Threads. Or else I'm screwing it up.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 AM

I have used both Gutterman 50/3 cotton, Prescencia 60/3 cotton, and Superior cotton and polyester threads with my Bernina 440 QE and never had any problems with any of them. The Metter Silk thread that I buy is not actually wrapped with silk, it is 100% cotton; it is the finish of the thread that gives it the "silk" feel. I use it for hand and machine applique

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I was told by my Bernina dealership to only use Mettler silk wrapped thread. There just might be some threads that don't work well on Janome.