Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your DH help you in your sewing room? >

Does your DH help you in your sewing room?

Does your DH help you in your sewing room?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Dh didn't do anything at first, avoided it like the plague, but now he offers opinions on color schemes, helps pick out the quilting stencils I use, makes suggestions for my next project and when my serger, which I use only for garment sewing, recently died, he bought me a new one that has coverstitching so I can use one it for decorative stitching on crazy quilts.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM

My hd shares "our" sewing room. Actually, I have 90% of it and he has about 10%. He quilts in spurts, so is not always in there. He has only been quilting for about 15 years and I have been sewing for 50 years and quilting for over 30. I love to share with him...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM

I don't have a current man in the life, but my quilting buddy does. He doesn't actually go into her lair unless asked, but he does bring her fabric he's acquired (if it's not appropriate we don't tell him because he needs to be given affirmations for being interested and helping), move tables around for her, help her organize her closet (when asked--NOT on his own). He's a very cheerful helper.

The only thing is, she made the mistake of telling him that she has a list of priority projects, which included finishing his t-shirt quilt (mostly putting on the binding left). He noticed she had started a new project, which wasn't on the list, and was concerned about "the list." Being a mathematician, I don't think he really understood the artist's need for variety and a change of pace.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 PM

When I ask for his help, yes. And yesterday while I was at work he vaccumed it for me:)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Well I am using a small bedroom for my sewing room and it still has the hospital bed in it from when I had breast cancer and my DH said he would take it out and since I am a newib I have very little fabric in the closet. He surprised me and bought some selves and going to paint, I was proud and yes he is a keeper.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

No my dh does not help me but always encourages me to meet with my quilt group once a week. Maybe he just wants me out of the house, hee hee :P
Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 AM

Does he help me? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 AM

A year ago last November, I was sewing my husband's Christmas Present (a raggy flannel quilt), when he came downstairs to see what I was doing. Since the surprise was blown I asked him to help me finish it. Since then we have made 24 raggy flannel quilts. He cuts and trims the squares, pins the squares and rows together and all I do is stitch. He also helps snip the seams, and since we also do embroidery on the squares, helps me pick out the pattern and does all the hooping. We've had a lot of fun planning and designing the quilts, and have got everything down pat. It takes us about 20 hours to complete a quilt from start to finish, depending on the amount of embroidery. We've only been married 2 1/2 years, (we both were widowed after long time marriages), and doing this together has brought us closer together as we continually get to know each other better.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I was in my sewing room paper piecing and my DH came up stairs to see what I was doing. He spent the entire afternoon with me lining up the fabric pcs. for me to stitch on next, pressing and trimming. I offered to get him going on one of my other machines but he declined. It was awesome to have someone to tear the paper off the back of my blocks and having his company for the afternoon was really nice.
Gosh, what a loving scene that makes. It's so heart warming to think of him sitting there with you tearing your paper off while you sew.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Mine has a good sense of color - he is a painting/decorating contractor. He has helped me organize portions of my stash - I'm afraid to let him see it all at once. It could definitely cause some large discussions.